We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ladies, what is "the" gift from Paris

nebraska
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ladies, what is "the" gift from Paris

I am trying to think of a special gift for my lovely wife, Maybe something she would use while we are tin Paris to help her feel like a local? My first thought is a Hermes Scarf, but beyond that I'm drawing a blank. I did a search using gifts, but didn't see what I'm reaching for.

Any insight is appreciated. I'd love to have Phread as a shopping guide for a day.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hermes
Hermes
167 Reviews
Paris, France
Detaille
Gift & Speciality Shops
Christian Louboutin
Gift & Speciality Shops
Maison Verot
Gift & Speciality Shops
Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ladies, what is "the" gift from Paris

Wouldn't we all! But her posts give lots of directions and places, so that's a good thing. I'm doing a depot-vente day thanks to all her.

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ladies, what is "the" gift from Paris

Sorry, your question as "The gift" I could not even begin to answer that one. An antique Perfume in an awesome bottle from Guerlain?

A makeup shopping day at Chanel, and others? A trip to a Hammam or other day spa?

Mentioned in this post
Chanel
Chanel
257 Reviews
Paris, France
Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ladies, what is "the" gift from Paris

Designer handbag (Gucci, Dior, Louis Vuitton or whatever) - real thing, no fake.

Designer sunglasses

Jewellery always does the trick.

High quality jacket, coat, cape or other more "lasting" piece of clothes.

Chicago
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ladies, what is "the" gift from Paris

I would get her a gorgeous purse, one of the famous brands made in Paris! Most of them run $200 and up, you could also get the wallet.

I liked the beautiful perfumes in gorgeous bottles; try Sephora, but not the one on the Champs Elysees - too crowded! I went to one in the 1st, much less crowded. We also bought Peugot salt and pepper mills; at the store on the Champs Elysees! I agree about the Hermes scarf; can't go wrong with that! If she likes art, you could buy an original painting; something small you can frame at home.

Have fun shopping!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Champs-Elysees
Champs-Elysees
17,352 Reviews
Paris, France
Hermes
Hermes
167 Reviews
Paris, France
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ladies, what is "the" gift from Paris

Another Peugot pepper mill person! I love mine...but...although a really nice gift for someone who likes to cook, this is not what a the love of your life would consider a particularly romantic gesture. I'd go with either the purse/wallet combo or the perfume. Maybe an antique perfume bottle. They can be found easily in Paris and some of them are beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Michigan
Level Contributor
504 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ladies, what is "the" gift from Paris

My husband and I have a made a tradition out of buying local art - it makes a wonderful keepsake, comes in a wide range of prices (from struggling-street-artist type to established artists in galleries), and is unique.

But I'm not much for expensive fashion (contrary to my sister, who works in the fashion industry in Milan!)... on the other hand, I don't exactly refuse her cast-offs : )

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
180 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ladies, what is "the" gift from Paris

I'd love to bring home some antique perfume bottles. Where can they be found?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,598 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ladies, what is "the" gift from Paris

Why would you get her anything but the scarf. They have longer pleated ones in solids if the traditional ones ar too stodgey for her.

Lalique makes some nice jewelry that is very affordable. Crystal hearts and rings for under $200.

Chanel sunglasses? (sorry, I am from CA and they are just so Audrey Hepburn to me).

Oh, how about a frangrance that is not avail. in the US? Search for perfume stores above and you'll find a pretty good list. My favorite is Frederic Maille on rue de Grenelle.

Mentioned in this post
Chanel
Chanel
257 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Grenelle
Hotel Grenelle
320 Reviews
Paris, France
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ladies, what is "the" gift from Paris

My sister and I brought one home to our mother about ten years ago and she loved it. It still sits on her bureau. I'm sure she enjoys it as a cherished gift but it really is beautiful as well. After we bought it, and I saw how much Mom enjoyed it, I started buying an antique perfume bottle whenever I travel. They make lovely, relatively inexpensive souvenirs. Where can you buy them in Paris? That's a hard question only because they can be found in lots of different sorts of shops, from true antique shops to bric-a-brac shops. I even found one in a hardware store in Paris once. Sometimes they are a dusty forgotten item that can be had for a song. You need to be able to imagine it without the dust! And funny enough, I don't even wear perfume.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ladies, what is "the" gift from Paris

tN -

If you're thinking about some original art, why not have your wife's portrait done. That's got to be the most romantic thing ever - out of all the beautiful things in Paris, she's the best. Perhaps one of the experts could recommend someone, but to be honest - if it were for me, I'd most appreciate it at least seeming to be a spontaneous idea. It wouldn't have to be oils, a pastel portrait would be just fine, perhaps by one of the artists along the Seine or up in Montmartre near the Basilica.

Bon voyage.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,763 Reviews
Paris, France