We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Paris to Bordeau

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Best route from Paris to Bordeau

We will be leaving an organized tour and traveling to Bordeau to see French friends. We need an inexpensive hotel preferably near Montmartre/ Pigalle for one night before heading south. Any suggestions on a good place to spend a night on the way down. or sites we shouldn't miss? We love the villages and would prefer something not too touristy or expensive. Any help is appreciated! We are hoping to rent a van as there will be seven of us if that isn't too difficult.

Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
My Private Paris
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours
waterlooville uk
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Paris to Bordeau

Driving from Paris to Bordeaux is perfectly do-able in one day, if you stick to the autoroutes (interstates). It would take about 6 hours - the distance approximately 575km. French autoroutes have tolls, and this trip would cost about EUR30.

However, if you want to break the journey I would head for Sarlat in the Dordogne area. This has to be my favourite place in rural France; it's a small town rather than a village and is slightly off the direct route from Paris - Bordeaux. I just love it. If you have a look on the Sarlat forum you will find a wealth of ideas. The town's correct name is Sarlat-le Caneda.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Paris to Bordeau

Hi Susan -

Nothing against Sarlat, which is indeed a delightful place, but it would take you almost as long to drive to Sarlat as it would to drive direct to Bordeaux. At a guess I would say it is less than 100 km from Sarlat to Bordeaux. And with respect to kebabs, Sarlat is certainly the most touristy town in the Dordogne area and therefore among the most touristy towns in France.

Closer to the direct route and just about half way between Paris and Bordeaux (note the correct spelling) is the beautiful medieval town of Loches with its fortifications and château. This is far enough south of the major attractions of the Loire valley to be pretty much off the tourist map.

OTOH if you wanted to stay closer to the Loire châteaux and perhaps make a quick visit to Chenonceau, the little village of Bléré is pretty much off the tourist radar for some reason. It's a bit farther north than Loches and so closer to Paris but not by much. And it has a charming small hotel, Le Cheval Blanc, with an excellent (and very good value IMO) restaurant with one Michelin rosette.

Take a look at viamichelin.com, a very useful route fplanning resource.

Bonne route!

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Paris to Bordeau

Very high quality advice by IrishRvr, if I may say. I agree about Sarlat - it is quite charming, but full of Brits (not that we aren't lovely, but that isn't presumably what you come to France for!) and it is too near your destination. Watch out for the traffic police, if you haven't been on the autoroutes before - they mean it!

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
4. Re: Best route from Paris to Bordeau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 12:21