We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The 10 Commandments of Dining in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
542 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
The 10 Commandments of Dining in Paris

I found this site while searching for self-guided walking tours (which I STILL haven't found one that strikes my fancy for Montmartre)....anyway.....I thought it was pretty funny and, yet, informative! Enjoy!

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=paris@117&cur_section=fea&feature=30006

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,322 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The 10 Commandments of Dining in Paris

Well done you I think that really sums it up! It explains the cultural differences. Just says how things are done in France.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The 10 Commandments of Dining in Paris

Ah! Yes the cultural differences! It reminds me of the first trip to America a Parisian friend of mine took a few years ago. I went to meet him in New York since he wanted to visit the big apple before coming to Montréal and Ottawa.

After settling in the hotel we went for our first meal and of course in the great North American efficient way with are all familiar with, the waiter brought the coffee with the dessert and (quelle horreur!) the bill all at once.

My friend just become red then blue than yellow and finally speechless, he was sure we were being thrown out of the place because we were speaking French.

Different strokes for different folks.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,322 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The 10 Commandments of Dining in Paris

Luckyluc

That's the one I find hardest to take, the bill before I have finished eating! My husband, American, however sometimes gets frustrated waiting to get the bill!

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The 10 Commandments of Dining in Paris

Luckyluc - even up here in uncivilized Viking territory is it considered rude of the waiter to bring tne bill before the guest asks for it. How can the waiter possibly know that I would not want another coffee, a drink, another drink, a dozen of oysters for the road plus another bottle of champagne ?

Israel
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The 10 Commandments of Dining in Paris

Gitte - There you go again mentioning the most important part of your meal..............the champagne.

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The 10 Commandments of Dining in Paris

Goodmorning Shoesy - and that would be a meagre dinner indeed, as I would not eat the oysters even at gunpoint....

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,694 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The 10 Commandments of Dining in Paris

We were in the US over Xmas break and the couple next to us ordered a doggie bag. My 12 year old early jumped out of her seat, "Look Mom, its true, they really DO take home their left overs. Oh my god, these people are SO Amercian!" She loved it and wanted to save her food just so that she could have her own doggie bag.

I once returned a melon au porto because the waiter had not actually added the porto. They refused to put in the porto AND wanted to charge us for it. Now that was a FUN evening!

Israel
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The 10 Commandments of Dining in Paris

phread - Speaking of doggy bags, I remember the good old days when they were really intended for the canine members of our family.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The 10 Commandments of Dining in Paris

re the dogie bags --

Portions are so large in the US it's necessary to take half your meal home unless you like the idea of wasting it.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The 10 Commandments of Dining in Paris

>> Mademoiselle under 50 <<

That's a great blunder. Mademoiselle is very old-fashioned when adressing a waitress. In any case, it should be banned when the waitress' appeareance speaks for older than a student.

Use "S'il vous plaît" instead, with a stress on the last syllabe.