We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any non smoking restaurants in Paris?

California
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Are there any non smoking restaurants in Paris?

I'm not a second hand smoke fanatic, but I do have asthma, and it can be a problem, other than that, I really dislike the smell when I'm eating. It overtakes the taste.

Thanks!

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any non smoking restaurants in Paris?

podo -

Wait until next year to travel - smoking is supposed to be banned in restaurants failry soon, but I'd give it some time until the aroma leaves the premises.

California
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any non smoking restaurants in Paris?

Sooo basically you're saying there are non?

Oh well, I'll deal... we're already booked for an overnight in April.

We can always grab a sandwich and eat it on a park bench, as I've read plenty folks do.

Just not sure I want to spend a lot of euros on a fancy meal when I'm getting smoke up the nose. Hmmm... interesting... there's been a lot of talk about how chef's pride themselves on their food, yet smoking can ruin a meal. Oh well, I guess they're just used to it.

Cheers!

BJL
Ormond Beach, FL
Level Contributor
466 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there any non smoking restaurants in Paris?

I just came back this past Wednesday and was (pleasantly) surprised at the number of places that asked if I wanted "fumar" or "no-fumar"... So there are places with non-smoking areas. A good way also to avoid smoking a little more is to eat earlier - which I tend to do by European standards anyway. If you eat around 6:30-7:00 pm you can avoid much of it.

My shuttle driver, show was trying to quit smoking, told me that as of the day I arrived, all public spaces like inside the airport, etc. were now non-smoking and that in July restaurants would be also.

Dunedin, FL
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there any non smoking restaurants in Paris?

In the last few years completely non-smoking restaurants are popping up all around...3 of our favorites are Le Florimond, Le P'tit Troquet and La Cerisaie, there are many others: Epi Dupin, Jules Verne, Table de Joel Robuchon. I am sure someone will come up with an up-dated web site.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,011 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there any non smoking restaurants in Paris?

There are lots of them, and more are going smoke free every month. Unfortunately the 100% Sans Tabac list is a bit out of date, but it is a start.

paris.fr/portail/Environnement/Portal.lut…

California
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there any non smoking restaurants in Paris?

Thank you soooooo much!!!

BTW... I'm curious if the upcoming ban is consumer driven or health department driven?

Is this being imposed on the citizens, or do you find most people are quitting cigarettes and are asking for more smoke free establishments?

Portland
Level Contributor
120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there any non smoking restaurants in Paris?

From what I understand, it's a move by the health department, not French citizens. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16921417/

You're spoiled living in California. :) My clothes always come home from France reeking of smoke.

California
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there any non smoking restaurants in Paris?

Interesting article... you do know there will be a fatter French population! Cig smoking ups the metabolism just on it's own!

Not to mention the whole habit thing of sticking something in the gob all day! :-P

Just teasing French folks... don't panic! A pound wont hurt, just keep walking! :-)

Cheers!

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,011 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there any non smoking restaurants in Paris?

<<I'm curious if the upcoming ban is consumer driven or health department driven?>> Chirac driven. A couple of years ago he announced the legacy he'd like to leave. I don't remember most of it, but reducing the number of deaths from autombile accidents was one and decreasing incidents of cancer was the other. This ban is the result of that (and a trend across Europe). Surprisingly, only the tobacco shops have protested this one, with bars and restaurants being relatively compliant (I rememeber bar owners being quie outraged when a similar law hit CA).

For what it is worth, he has been very successful in reducing auto accidents.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
524 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there any non smoking restaurants in Paris?

I have to say that it still surprises me a bit to think that Paris will soon be "smoke-free"...although I also was a bit surprised when New York went that way. We don't have a ban here in Baltimore yet which makes the Paris ban seem that much more surreal. The tobacco lobby, perhaps?...Anyway, now that I quit smoking I'm glad the city will be smoke-free when I return (7 months quit and still going strong - yipee!!! :)

podp944 - when were were in Paris in Dec we found some places to be full of smokers while others either banned it or just happened to be short on smokers that night...I think that you'll be ok. We're heading off to CA in April - I look forward to dining smoke-free there (no temptation :)