We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What gift do you purchase for yourself or family and friends

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
What gift do you purchase for yourself or family and friends

to bring home from Paris?

I would love to see if I can find some perfume - I love "Joy" and my daughter says she would like to purchase some good make up - can you tell us where to go for these things and what else should we purchase to bring home to the states. Merci

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What gift do you purchase for yourself or family and friends

It isn't as much fun now that Sephora has opened in the US, but there is a large store on the Champs... I don't buy things for other people anymore as I gather it doesn't mean that much to them (it just isn't the same if you weren't "there")..... I will occasionally buy a Christmas or Birthday gift if it's something they collect (such as music boxes, egg cups, etc). I do go to Monoprix and load up on French or Belgian cookies for the office, which go like wildfire when I set them out...

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What gift do you purchase for yourself or family and friends

My rule is to buy nothing on the road that I can get at home, and I'm sorry to say, every brand is available in every city, so there's not much point. If you're interested in buying an Hermes scarf, for instance, take a look at the airport - any major airport it seems, in the duty-free shops.

The things I do bring home I get at Harrods or Harvey Nicks - Harrods has some wonderful small souvenirs - red telephone box or double decker bus key chains, and one of the best things, bridge decks of cards that can be personalized with the intended's initials, that come in a distinctive Harrods box.

My mother in law got more pleasure out of dragging out those cards when her bridge club met. She'd wait until everyone had arrived so they could observe the ceremonial presentation with the intonation "My daughter in law brought these from London for me". I'm sure the club would have enjoyed killing me, but she had fun.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What gift do you purchase for yourself or family and friends

Here is a thread that was just a few weeks ago which gives lists of gift items to buy in France.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k96512…

I like to buy French made Christmas ornaments, French china dolls for the Christmas tree, French Music ( FNAC), French musical birthday cards, French fig jam, Herbs de Provence, Sea Salts with herbs or flavorings, Chocolate bars ( dark), fabrics, linens, tablecloths, French scarves, neckties, tee shirts, French paintings, water colours, posters, French needlepoints, Santons, Fragonard French soaps...... I could go on and on.....

There are many items that are now available in the USA.

I noticed Trader Joes has begun to sell the Normany Biscuits ( $2.99 in the tin!), French chocolates and other specialty items. Ross and Marshals are also carrying many French items too. Check out what you can find locally because it can be much less than in France.

have fun shopping

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What gift do you purchase for yourself or family and friends

The only three items I bring to the States on a regular basis are: Carte Noire coffee, dark chocolate and flavored mustard from Maille place de la Madeleine.

Re. make up, I like to go to the Guerlain store at the North end of rue Tronchet, It is a small store where you get advice and are treated well. Much more pleasant than Sephora or Marionnaud IMO.

Guerlain products are my favorite. Their foundation is the best I have found, their lipsticks are excellent and they have a fab. liquid concealer in a pencil.

It is true that you can find everything in the States but as you walk about, you will find in a small store that special item that you will not be able to resist.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,728 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What gift do you purchase for yourself or family and friends

I think that there are still some designer fragrances that you can not find in the US, or at Sephora. Some to try would be ;

INUX - L'Artisan Parfumier - Editions de Parfum , Frederic Malle - Parfums de Nicolaï - Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier

These are small, private boutiques, fun to visit on their own merit, even without a purchase.

I also recently read about going to THE Chanel boutique on the rue Cambon and getting a cosemetic there. You can find it at home, but appearently, if you tell them that it is a gift, they will wrap it beautifully for you.

A fabulous hat is another item worth looking for. Marie Mercier on St Sulpice is fun. Grevi on rue d'assas is Italian, but affordable and unique, finally Jascar at 11 rue Dupont des Loges in th e7th is fantasy land. I have no idea of the prices, but going in here is like a step back in time. You'll feel like GiGi getting ready for an event. Breathtaking.

Waverly, IA
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What gift do you purchase for yourself or family and friends

Last time we went we picked up refrigerator magnets (a daily reminder of our trip), a snow globe music box, and a glass from a local tobacc shop that says "frigolet". We also picked up chocolates - Kinderlait & individually wrapped chocolates with pictures of well-known structures to hand out at work.

We also brought back tons of photos and placed them in a scrapbook of our trip.

On our trip coming up I will be purchasing a "Paris" purse for my teenage daughter and a black and white drawing of the eiffel tower for a friend of mine (who wants to frame it and hang it in her living room).

7. Re: What gift do you purchase for yourself or family and friends

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 21:18