We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markets open on Mondays?

Virginia
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Markets open on Mondays?

Hi:

I am new to this forum and am planning my first trip to Paris in April. I have rented a studio apartment near Musee d'Orsay and plan to cook some meals with the wonderful fresh produce, fish, and meat purchased from the markets. I arrive on a Monday morning and have found that, after reading numerous guides, I have seen only one market mentioned being open on Mondays - Rue de Buci. Can anyone on this forum verify that this market is open on Mondays? Are there other markets closer to my apartment that would be open?

Thank you.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Markets open on Mondays?

Here is a comprehensive list of markets...

www.v1.paris.fr/en/Living/markets/default.ASP

Otherwise, you should look for 'supermarche' on the Paris yellowpages:

www.pagesjaunes.fr

Typical brands are Monoprix, Franprix, Champion...

USA
Level Contributor
27,935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Markets open on Mondays?

There are other markets around Paris that will be open on a Monday....but the rue de Buci market and it's immediate area, may suit your particular needs upon arrival (and 'setting-up' for your stay) better than most. In addition to being an active daily street market (Closed on Sundays), with fresh produce, fish, fowl, etc (a stall with the best roasted chicken in Paris). The immediate area also has a CHAMPION supermarché just around the corner from Carrefour de Buci, at 79 rue de Seine, a great wine shop, Le DERNIÉRE GOUTTE, just in off of rue de Buci at 6 rue de Bourbon Le Chateau (at rue de l' Echaude), great boulangeries and patisseries with KAYSER'S at 10 rue de l' Ancienne Comédie; PAUL'S at 77 rue de Seine (next to Champion), a fresh flower stall on rue de Seine.There are also a few local pharmacies (rue Dauphine, rue Saint André des Arts, rue de Seine) in the immediate neighborhood for odds 'n ends. The only thing that this immediate neighborhood (within a block or two of Carrefour de Buci) doesn't have is a place like a MONOPRIX, to pick up extra wash clothes, vegetable peelers, omelette pan, hair dryer, etc that you find that your apartment isn't already equipped with. PLUS...more than enough little local cafés to sit and have coffee, a glass of wine or lunch while you shop.

Virginia
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Markets open on Mondays?

Thank you both so much for your information. The list of markets had a link to another website that stated that the Rue de Buci market is actually closed on Mondays. So I suppose the best thing for me to do is to just go on over there on Monday afternoon to see. It sounds just wonderful, and I will particularly enjoy visiting the shops that you suggest, KDKSAIL.

Thank you again for your help.

4. Re: Markets open on Mondays?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 21:20