We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping and Credit Cards

NYC, USA
Level Contributor
156 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping and Credit Cards

Haven't been back to Europe since 9/11. We're now planning 2 weeks (1 in Paris) at the end of June. I've recently been led to believe that numerous of the "name" designer and department stores now charge a credit card premium to charge as opposed to paying cash. Can anyone confirm this? It seems a bit inconsistent since that is NOT the case here in NYC.

If it is true, I might need to significantly change the amount of cash I take along....something I would strongly prefer not to do.

paris
Level Contributor
627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping and Credit Cards

The prices in stores are exactly the same if you pay by credit/debit card, check or cash.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping and Credit Cards

I hope you are not planning to take much cash at all, especially in the light of norween's response...

Fair warning department: The steep decline in the value of the US$ since you were last in Europe will have much more of an impact than any premium you might have been charged by the stores.

Enjoy the shopping nonetheless!

NYC, USA
Level Contributor
156 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping and Credit Cards

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I'd take very little cash unless it was absolutely necessary. No question!

I'm pleased to hear that we were misinformed about the CC charges.

As for the conversion and high prices....well those comments made me chuckle. My income earning wife has been looking forward to a well deserved bit of a shopping spree in Paris for several years and there's far too many items avaialble there (not available in NYC) for her to rationalize prices. :-)

At least plastic fits comfortably in my wallet.