We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!! 3-day WeekEnd trip (Are places Closed??)

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, Ma
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Help!! 3-day WeekEnd trip (Are places Closed??)

Hi

After reading more posts, I just realized that our weekend trip to Paris might be in trouble. Is it true that many places will be closed on Sundays and Mondays? We're arriving on Sat morning and departing Tuesday morning. This is our first trip there and would like to visit the must-go tourist areas. I have the following few questions. Please Help!! Seeing that we only have 3 days, where should we go on what day?? Thank you for all your insights.

1. Should we buy the 2 day museum pass seeing that we're gonna be there on April 1, the first Sunday of the month ( I was under the impression that most of the museums are free this day)?? But I am aware that there will be an enormous crowd. We would like to visit the Louvre, Arc de T, Orsay, and the Picasso Museums. Should we just go on Sat and/or Monday and pay at the entrance??

2. We would also like to go shopping for Louis Vuitton and etc., and visit outdoor markets, which day is best for that??

3. What can we do on Sunday and Monday?? Also, is it true we'll have a hard time finding places to have lunch and dinner on these days??

Thanks again,

Melanie

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!! 3-day WeekEnd trip (Are places Closed??)

Food not a problem on Sundays. Avoid cafes that have loud greeters luring you inside. Stick to the cafes where the menu is posted outside, where the food and atmosphere speak for themselves.

Sites are open Sundays although crowded, but many are closed on Monday or Tuesdays. So plan accordingly. We went to Versailles on Sunday, but with only 2 1/2 days to sightsee, you should limit yourself to staying in Paris.

Eiffel Tower is open everyday and crowded. I would go there at 9pm on Saturday since it is open to 11pm (dress warm), or first thing on Sunday or Monday, perhaps 30-45 minutes before opening to get on line. A ticket to the 2nd level may be high enough, the views are wonderful. You do not see as well from the top, and there is a separate elevator to take from the 2nd level that also has 30 min line. Time you may not want to spend.

d"Orsay is open on Sunday, with VERY long lines on the 1st day of the month. It is closed on Monday so you I could actually try to visit on Saturday when it is open til 6-6:30 pm, go for an early dinner followed by the Eiffel tower.. if you do go on Sunday, go early and get on line prior to opening, and always go right to the top floor for the impressionists!

Notre Dame is good to visit on Sunday, esp. to walk around during mass. I think it closes after the 6pm mass. The crypt on the ND plaza will not be crowded. Nearby St Chapelle will be crowded on Sunday, the Concergerie next door will not.

Save Monday for the Louvre and Picasso, they will be open all three days you are there, and they close on Tuesdays. Lourve will be more crowded so go early. Arc de Triomphe is open everyday and on the Champs Elysees fwith LV.

Montmartre and Sacre Coeur will be good Sunday or Monday afternoon. Nice to sit on steps during sunset hours, be entertained by the buskers. A Seine cruise good late in the evening also anyday.

Have fun. With a little planning, you will be busy, but able to see visit what you want. And no matter what you see, or don't see this trip, you will soon be making plans to return!

T

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!! 3-day WeekEnd trip (Are places Closed??)

There are many things to do every day of the week.

Louvre is open on Monday. Orsay is closed on Monday.

Go early to Orsay on Sunday. It will be busy later on. No need to get a pass for other museums. It is easy to buy a ticket from vending machines inside Louvre. Do not use Pyramid entrance.

There is a good market on Sat at Alma Marceau or Iena metro stops (Blvd du President Wilson).

Shopping for Louis Vuitton bag would be easier on Monday. Go to Champs Elysees store and avoid lunch hour.

There will be hundreds of restaurants, brasseries, bistrots and cafes open on Sun and Mon.

Paris is always busy.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!! 3-day WeekEnd trip (Are places Closed??)

absolutely avoid the Louvre and Orsay on Sunday 'free day' -- these are an absolute nightmare -- you will sck up all your time in line and it will be a zoo in line

other than that -- plenty of things to see on those days

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,814 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!! 3-day WeekEnd trip (Are places Closed??)

<<Notre Dame is good to visit on Sunday, esp. to walk around during mass.>> You can do that? Wow I always thought that it was not a good idea to tour during mass and would turn around and leave if ever I entered at such a time. Now I know. Thanks.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!! 3-day WeekEnd trip (Are places Closed??)

>>> Notre Dame is good to visit on Sunday, esp. to walk around during mass. <<<

If you absolutely *must* visit a church (or any other religious buliding) during services (why?) please stand or sit quietly at the back of the cathedral or church or wherever, look around *without chattering* and leave quietly when you have seen what you came to see.

You wouldn't, I assume, wander round the Palais Garnier during a performance, right? (Not that you would be allowed to...)

I have seen some pretty bad tourist behaviour in European churches recently — including people taking flash photographs of the celebrant during Mass, walking across the nave between the worshipers snd the altar, talking in normal conversational tones during the service, and so on. Some churches that are also major tourist destinations are closed to visitors during services, Westminster Abbey for one. I would be sorry to see others forced to take this course...

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,814 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!! 3-day WeekEnd trip (Are places Closed??)

Irish, Thank yo for clearing that up for me. I am glad that my instincts were on.

Can't imagine such a thing being tolerated where I worship, but then we get pat searched and have to go thorugh metal detectors just to get into the builiding, so I can't use personal experience as a basis on that one.

Boston, Ma
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!! 3-day WeekEnd trip (Are places Closed??)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'm so happy to know that we're still able to see the places during these days. =)

So, it seems like that we shouldn't bother with buying the museum pass and just pay at the entrance, is that right?

And Versailles is Open on Sunday?? Because my boyfriend would really like to go there but it seems like a far trek from Paris therefore maybe Sunday would be a good day to go if the museums are going to be extremely crowded. Any advise on this??

Melanie

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help!! 3-day WeekEnd trip (Are places Closed??)

Versailles is open on Sunday, and if you go, you should at least plan to spend a half day. if you visit just the chateau, and look out on the gardens without wandering through them, you should be able to do this.

If Versailles is a priority for you rather than some other sites in the city, it is very easy to do. Get up early and take a 8 am train to get to the chateau when it opens at 9. Take the RER C train via the Versailles-Rive Gauche line (do NOT take the Versailles-Chantiers which is at the opposite end). You will have a 5-10 min easy walk, just follow the crowd.

You can buy your train ticket at the station and there is also a combination ticket that includes RT train and an all inclusive one day pass (which includes audioguides and entrance without lines to everything open that day). The paris Museum pass also allows entrance without waiting in the ticket line and you can rent the audioquides inside.

As for walking around ND during Mass-there is a separate entrance for Mass and another for tourists. We came upon this by accident and there are partitions separating the service. You do not interupt the Mass, people quietly walk around the parimeter, or stand listening to the music. People seemed very respectful of the service, and I doubt It would be allowed otherwise.

T

Boston, Ma
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help!! 3-day WeekEnd trip (Are places Closed??)

Tricia27

Thanks for all you helpful and detail information!!'

So, do you think that I should not bother with buying the museum pass??

Also, I will be arriving at the airport at 6am on Saturday, do you know what time the shops on Champs l'essey open?? Or if they is anywhere that we could go that early in the morning??

Melanie

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help!! 3-day WeekEnd trip (Are places Closed??)

Melanie,

OK, sit down, this will be long! The time you are ready to sightsee will be far later than 6am. Check your airlines website for your flight #, and see what the status on arrival time is for a few days. It may run 30 min late easy. Then it will take at least 1 hr to collect luggage and go through customs. Add 40-45 min to travel ito Paris, more if driving due to rush hour. Now it's closer to 8:30-9am when you reach your hotel and have them hold your luggage while you wait to get into your room at 2-4pm.

Checking in can also be time consuming. You get what you pay for re quality of room and view, but the best rooms in each catagory are usually saved for the pickiest customer. If staying in a smaller boutique hotel, ask if you can see the rooms available for your stay. If empty, you will be shown 2-3, and never accept the first shown. Whether the rooms are shown to you or not, always ask if there is nothing a little better. At times, you will be told a better room will be available later that day, or you may be given a complimentary upgrade.

Even if you are staying in a larger hotel, you may be assigned a less favorable room first. Ask the clerk if this is the best room that will be available for your stay. Complain immediately if not satisfied, sometimes a bell hop may even have another room key in his pocket. This is just the way it is done, and could take 30-45 min to check in. So now it is at least 9:30-10 am, and all the museums and most shops along the Champs are now open!

However, if you do land on time, sail through customs and hotel check-in, and get to your first location early, go to a cafe for coffee and pastry. Laduree is right on the Champs, a few blocks from Arc d Triomphe.

As for the Museum Pass, I found it wonderful for skipping ticket lines; a real time saver. Problem is when you are going with that Sunday free. Even if you go to Versailles on Sunday, a 2 day museum pass is only good for consequtive days. If you use it on Sat & Sun or Sun & Mon, you still do not need it on Sunday unless you use it for Versailles.

The cost of Versailles depends on the season you go. A regular ticket to the palace is 13.5, audioquides bring it to 19.5 Euros, gardens free unless when fountain shows in high season are scheduled, and RT train approx 6 = 25.5 each. The One Day Pass with train fare goes up to approx 26 E after 3/31.

Because of this, I would be tempted to just buy a four day PMP for 45 Euros, covering all daysyou're there including Versailles. Only extras will be 6 Euros for the audio quides, and 6 for the RER C train=57Euros total each. You'll still should break even and the convenience on Sat and Monday will be time saving on such a short visit.

OR--If you just shop a little Sat am, go to Versailles for the afternoon, and/or then go up the Eiffel tower (which is not part of the PMP) that night-buy a 2 day PMP.

I found that just visiting 2 museums/ monuments a day with the PMP usually is = to the cost of individual tickets. You can check out these sites to help you decide what you want to see and if the pass works out. www.chateauversailles.fr/en/index.php and www.parismuseumpass.com

I warned you this would be long!! T