We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should we take with us to use in our apartment? Advice?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
What should we take with us to use in our apartment? Advice?

There have several posts regarding what one should take to a rented apartment which will not be available in the apartment. I know one poster said a sharp knife and another TP. But since so many posters seem to be renting an apartment lately, I thought maybe we get get a comprehensive list here.

I plan to take a sharp knife, some recipes, (buy a Staub pot to use there and ship home,) a good wine opener...but do I need to take a non-mechanical can opener? I know GitteK carries her own duvet. My husband has asked me to pack some cans of beenie-weenies...yeah, I know.....at least he didn't ask for Cheetos! I'll take a small flashlite. Anything else I'm missing. Yes, these will all be in checked bags. Someone also said to carry or buy some stronger wattage bulbs, but? Please advise.

California
Level Contributor
442 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What should we take with us to use in our apartment? Advice?

Definately at least one roll of TP.!!

I never take any food items - this is Paris after all! There's an american food shop in the Marias in case you get desperate.

Some old clean teatowels for drying dishes.

Face cloths - because they won't be provided.

Some of those 'inflatable' sponges (you know, the really dry, light, skinny ones that puff up when wet) for washing dishes.

Flashlight definately - for all the times I've been caught on the staircase when the lights go out.

A travel alarm clock.

A large trash bag or two.

Coffee filters if you brew -

We always take a "Swiss Army' type gadget with a screwdriver/wine-opener/pliers and a few other little tools - the screwdriver has come in very handy more than once.

Ooh and next time - some wooden spoons - god I hate stirring a metal pan with a metal spoon!

I've never needed any kitchen utensils - every apartment we've rented has always been well stocked a la can opener, knives, grater et al (all but the wooden spoons. But all were very sparse (if at all) on the cleaning supplies end.

California
Level Contributor
442 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What should we take with us to use in our apartment? Advice?

I forgot the most important one:

ziplocks - loads of ziplocks.

oh, and one of those flexi keychains - so I can secure the apartment keys to the inside of my purse

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What should we take with us to use in our apartment? Advice?

That's funny, Jane... I can relate...we cooked in our apt one night and I absolutely HATE the metal on metal thing too! Agree with the ziplocks, but that would be for any trip, regardless of apt or hotel. There is a travel-size roll of tp at my local CVS in the "trial sample" section that I always pack. It is always enough until we can get to a Fpx or Mpx, which seem to be on every corner. Are light bulbs universal?....never thought about that one...(Yes I'm blond:)

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What should we take with us to use in our apartment? Advice?

No light bulbs are not universal. We must have over 10 different types at home alone!!

So they just would not work. If you find it too dark you can always buy one - or use the torch you are taking :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What should we take with us to use in our apartment? Advice?

And btw, that trial size of tp is good to keep in the backpack/purse for those public restrooms that are out of the stuff...

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What should we take with us to use in our apartment? Advice?

Gomac - this summer I will not bring my duvet as Gail from the agency www.perfectlyparis.com has told me that the bedding in "my" apartment is with a duvet.

But I feel quite contrary from you. Now that I shall be staying in apartment I will bring as litlle as possible and start off my first day with some solid shopping in a G20, Franprix, Monoprix or whichever is closest. E.g. for shampoo, soap, dish cloths, salt, pepper, spices, garbagebags, aluwrap, kitchen rolls, etc. These are small expenses and whatever is left when your holidays are over, you can leave for the next tenant.

And maybe you can even be so lucky that there are some things already in your apartment when you arrive ! BTW canopeners and corkscrews, scissors etc will be there, don't worry - (and who needs a canopener in a city which is overflowing with the worlds most delicious food and produce ?)

Remember when we played with dollshouses as kids ?? Moving into a Paris apartment is getting to play with a size 1:1 dollshouse !

So shopping for it is a BIG part of the fun !

Bahamas
Level Contributor
935 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What should we take with us to use in our apartment? Advice?

I bring a colander and salad spinner and a good pepper mill. Also my most trusted spatula, for fish or meat. It's so convinient to buy sauteed potatoes and vegetables at a deli, and all you need to cook is a couple of wonderful Dover Soles or some Filet Mignon~ pricey in restaurants. (You can buy ready made Bearnaise or Tartar sauce ~ dinner can be ready in 15 minutes!)

I agree with a good knife, and ziplocks are almost as important as the passport, lol. Also Wet Ones or Cottonelles. We are long term renters and tend to eat in, one meal a day.

I heartily recommend some of the famous chefs' Frozen meals too. My favorite brand is by Paul Bocouse ~ these are so good that I try to emulate some of his dishes when back home. After a long day of sightseeing, they are a blessing to have on hand.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,195 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What should we take with us to use in our apartment? Advice?

My husband dislikes re-using towels so I bring a few of my old ones from home and just leave them there at the end of our stay. All of the apartments in which we stayed only had two towels per person. They never have wash cloths so I do likewise. I've had to buy dish towels there, so I will take one of those next time we go. Bring some cheap wooden spoons (Big Lots). Leave them behind. We've encountered a few apartments that had plastic mattress pads. They were noisy and made me sweaty. I found a cheap cotton (Target) one that did not take up too much room in my luggage so I brought that and left it behind. The toilet tissue and face tissue there is different so if you prefer Puffs like I do, bring some with you.

We have been arriving in the late afternoon. I find it is better for my jet lag to stay awake as late as I can the first day. So after we get to the apartment we unpack. Make a shopping list and off we go for provisions. We go to Franprix for water, juice, eggs, snacks, ect. Stop at Nicholas for wine and champagne, buy fresh fruit along the street. Pick up my favorite framboise tarts at the patiserie. Finally a roasted chicken with potatoes. Back tot he apartment for dinner and a movie. before bed.

Bing DVDs too and a DVD player if the apartment does not have one. Be sure to pick up some fresh flowers for the apartment. You will be amazed at the beautiful flowers you see for sale. All of the apartments have had an a ssortment of vases.

Oh, and I have a folding wheeled tote that is invaluable.

At the end of the week I have an empty suitcase in which to pack all my Paris booty.

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What should we take with us to use in our apartment? Advice?

Com'on - you overplanning-control-freak-ladies !! Where's your sense of adventure ?

(only kidding....... but it IS France you are going to - a highly civilized Western country, not the wilderness somewhere around Timbuktu or Novosibirsk....)

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What should we take with us to use in our apartment? Advice?

My goodness you folks must really pack heavy..