We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train ride in Paris

philippines
Level Contributor
163 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Train ride in Paris

We will be staying in Paris for three nights and have limited time. I have one free day though. We'd like to take a short,scenic train ride to anywhere from Paris just to experience this mode of transportation. Where can I go? Many thanks.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train ride in Paris

Perhaps I am not understanding your two most recent posts, but it seems you are spending three nights in Paris, taking side trips to Giverny AND Versailles — and you want to "take a short, scenic train ride to anywhere from Paris" as well?

When exactly were you planning to visit Paris? You do realize that the most sketchy and superficial visit to Paris imaginable takes three days, right?

USA
Level Contributor
27,924 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train ride in Paris

There are any number of places that you can go via either conventional train or TGV from Paris as day-trips. The first 20 minutes or so of any train ride from Paris is going to be boring as hell...until you get outside of the immediate enviorns of commercial / industrial Paris.

For simple, short, EASY and interesting, try a daytrip out to the old city of CHARTRES---it will be only 70 minutes via direct SNCF train from PARIS-Gare Montparnasse to CHARTRES station...and then a very pleasant 10 minute stroll up the hill to the cathedral and the old quarter ofthe city.

Or...take an early AM SNCF train from PARIS-Gare Saint Lazare to VERNON (47 mins) and stop off at Giverny to see Monet's Home & Gardens...then back to VERNON station in time for the12:50 PM train onward to the city of ROUEN 45 mins)...the train back along the same train ligne to Paris in the early evening. This route takes you along the Seine River valley to Rouen.

Or..a bit farher afield, take a TGV from PARIS-Gare Montparnasse to the city of TOURS....or...a TGV from PARIS-Gare de Lyon to either DIJON or LYON...all easily done as long-ish day-trips via direct trains.

philippines
Level Contributor
163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train ride in Paris

Yes I do :-) Our trip to Versailles and Giverny we will be using a car with a driver/tour guide. On another day, we have city tour. Our last day(free day), I'd like to experience a scenic but short train ride. We don't have it back in Manila. Thanks.

philippines
Level Contributor
163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train ride in Paris

Thanks KDKSAIL for the information. I will try to choose from those options, except for Versailles because it is already in my tour schedule. :-)

5. Re: Train ride in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 01:19