We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canal St. Martin

jk
chicago
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Canal St. Martin

During a first time in Paris 5-day stay, should we find time for a Canal St. Martin cruise? If so, where do we find the dock? Which metro stop? Any pictures available of what we'll see? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
611 Reviews
US$76 per adult
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
670 Reviews
US$49 per adult
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,251 Reviews
US$104 per adult
6 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,701 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canal St. Martin

I think you will find many much more interesting sites / activities to visit / do than cruise on the St. Martin Canal, which is OK, but painfully long w/ opening and closing the locks along the way.

Post your plans / itinerary and we might advice on how to improve your sightseeing.

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canal St. Martin

We used Canauxrama, they have a website. There are much more interesting things to see and do for a first visit. It was long and boring with not much to see. I'd advise to spend your time and money elsewhere. We tried it only after our 5th or 6th visit to Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Canauxrama
Canauxrama
377 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canal St. Martin

I think for a first visit you shouldn't cruise on the canal but you should go over to the tenth and spend an afternoon. When we do this we walk along and over the canal and do a little shopping. We usually stop for a drink, outside, at the Hotel du Nord, and finally end up with dinner at, for example, Le Verre Vole or La Patache.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Du Nord
Hotel Du Nord
645 Reviews
Paris, France
Le Verre Vole
Le Verre Vole
483 Reviews
Paris, France
La Patache
La Patache
277 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canal St. Martin

Never done a canal cruise but they look painfully slow because of the locks you have to pass through. But walking along the canal is quite enjoyable and it emerges from underground near Place de la Republique. It is quite lively along the canal, especially in warm weather, and there are lots of restos and cafes along the canal. Recently there have been a lot of improvements and activities and new restos and cafes, especially along the continuation of the canal at the Bassin de la Villette.

Mentioned in this post
Place de la Republique
Place de la Republique
285 Reviews
Paris, France
Bassin de la Villette
Bassin de la Villette
73 Reviews
Paris, France
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canal St. Martin

Oui, mais non. I really don't think it is worth it unless you are traveling with toddlers, or someone with reduced mobility. You can walk the canal faster than the boats can clear the locks and as you walk you can stop and peek in to all the interesting bits.

Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canal St. Martin

I just did that canal walk / lunch a couple of weeks ago. Very very nice. My photo alum of that day has 10 of 26 photos along the canal: https://flic.kr/s/aHskZHF3Tm

Reply to: Canal St. Martin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted