We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day must sees in Paris

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
2 day must sees in Paris

Hello to all the Paris Travel Experts

we are flying into Paris (CDG) from India on the morning of 23rd September and flying out from Orly the evening of 25th September to Florence.

Me and my husband (both 33 years old) are travelling with our 2 year old daughter.

Can you please suggest the itinerary for the limited time we have and some good areas/hotels where we should be staying.

Considering you need to walk a lot in Paris city, would it would be better for us to travel through taxi rather than public transport (as we are travelling with a 27 month old baby)

Can we take push chairs everywhere?

Mentioned in this post
The Paris Diner
The Paris Diner
119 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Orly
Orly
Val-de-Marne, France
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Hotel Monge
Hotel Monge
#3 of 1,815 hotels in Paris
Hotel Fabric
Hotel Fabric
#6 of 1,815 hotels in Paris
16 replies to this topic
Paris
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day must sees in Paris

CDG-Paris, yes, definitely taxi (fixed rate). Inside Paris, you'd be better off taking buses, that are lower and are equipped for strollers. Of course, you can always travel on taxis, either licensed ones or "mini cabs" type. In this latter case, you'd better download apps of reputed mini cab companies, such as "LeCab" or "Chauffeur privé". I wouldn't recommend Uber because 1) of ethical reasons (they exploit their drivers and pay minimal taxes); 2) of safety reasons (it is documented that many of their drivers provide fake drivers' licences or vehicle registrations)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Paris
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day must sees in Paris

As per the "must sees", well, my friend, only you can determine this. And to this end, there is an old fashioned tool that is kind of tested and effective, it's called a guide book. Some cater to especially short stays like yours. Look it up and select what you'd prefer to see. Then possibly come back to us with more specific questions.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day must sees in Paris

Thank you so much for the quick reply Brindavoine

So, do u mean to say that if we chose public transport, we should chose buses over metro?

For the itinerary, I have been looking around but am not able to decide...we do not want it to be very rushy...we are easy going people and we like museums and history but are not very much into it...and I just read on Paris forum that you need to walk a lot in Louvre...is it true??? Do I think it will be problem for us with our baby? Plz ease my confusion on this.

Also plz suggest areas to stay.

Thanks 😊

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
303 Reviews
Paris, France
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,793 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 day must sees in Paris

The New York Times publishes travel articles always titled "36 hours in ..." and they are usually very good. For Paris they have both 36 Hours on the Left Bank ---> https:/…

and 36 hours on the Right ---> https:/…

They might be a good start of what can be seen (and eaten and drunk) in a short amount of time.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Paris
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 day must sees in Paris

How will you carry your baby? in a stroller or wrapped around you/your husband? If it goes in a stroller, then it is OK to navigate the Louvre, hundreds of parents to it everyday. But, yes, it's a huge place. Come what may, just follow a few sections and do not get drowned in the juggernaut.

Yes, buses are easier to use with, again, a stroller, because you don't have to navigate turnstiles, go up and down the stairs, and they have a central space for strollers. Just try and avoid "school rush hour", between 16h30 an 17h00, when all the kids are being picked up and end up in buses - stroller congestion ahead!

Mentioned in this post
France Louvre
France Louvre
303 Reviews
Paris, France
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
824 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 day must sees in Paris

Hi,

What made you pick Paris? There must have be some things you want to see yourself? Do you like art, parks, shopping....?

The Louvre is overwhelming on the first visit and is the world's biggest museum. There is a lot of walking involved (how old is your baby? might fall asleep during your time in the Louvre?).

You may need to do more research yourself on what you would like to see rather than people on the TA site guessing or making suggestions on what you might like to see.

Not sure if the following would interest you but may be of help;

D'Orsay Museum

Luxembourg Gardens

Notre Dame (free entry unless you decided you want to go to the towers then you will pay an entry fee)

Promenade de Plantée

Natural History Museum

Eiffel Tower

Cruise along the Seine

Walk around Ile St Louis

Bonaparte's Tomb

Rodin Museum and Garden

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
303 Reviews
Paris, France
Luxembourg Gardens
Luxembourg Gardens
31,298 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
121,997 Reviews
Paris, France
Louis
Louis
137 Reviews
Paris, France
Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 day must sees in Paris

Thank you so much Brindavoine...

we are going to take the baby in the stroller...no wraparound baby carrier/sling.'

Can you please advise the area to stay in or hotels if u know any in the recommended area. we are not looking for expensive hotels as our itinerary is packed we would be arriving in the hotel only at night.

Deksha

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 day must sees in Paris

Thank you for your reply OscarWilde Fan :)

Our Interests are to go around the city (May be on a Hop-on Hop-off tourist bus) ..just to get the feel of the city..., see Eiffel Tower, River Sienne Cruise and if time permits some good market and Versailles.

Luxemberg Gardens as suggested by you also sounds interesting. Just cannot figure out how to fit all these things in 2.5 days.

Also, please suggest some good area to stay in.

Thanks and waiting...

Mentioned in this post
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
121,997 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,923 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 day must sees in Paris

I think you need to get cracking to reserve a place to stay. September is a high season and better places may be picked over. We always stay in the 6th, but I have no idea about your budget. The 5th may have better options in terms of price and the 7th may also be a good opportunity. So will the 1st and 2nd. In other words, you need to do some due diligence and research.

I think Luxembourg Gardens is a much better call for you than Versailles because you do not have 3/4 of a day to dedicate to the latter. The Louvre is very dense and, short of hiring a guide to show you around, it will be lots and lots of walking. I would skip this time. The Orsay would be a great museum opportunity. I think dedicate a little more time to just hanging out, walking along the river, visiting the Notre Dame Cathedral, and strolling the islands. Bring comfortable shoes.

Mentioned in this post
Luxembourg Gardens
Luxembourg Gardens
31,298 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
303 Reviews
Paris, France
Notre Dame Cathedral
Notre Dame Cathedral
63,472 Reviews
Paris, France
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,923 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 day must sees in Paris

And you have about two days - half a day on the 23rd, after you get to your hotel from the airport, check-in, pottie, change shoes, etc. The whole day on the 24th and half a day on the 25th before you check out, time to get to the airport to allow enough time for security, etc. You cannot count on the arrival and departure days. These are wild cards. You are also subject to the disposition of a two-year-old and whether he/she feels like sightseeing or puts up a mega fuss. Been there.

Edited: 23 August 2017, 21:27
Reply to: 2 day must sees in Paris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted