We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can I get along using cash in Paris

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
can I get along using cash in Paris

Hello all

Good Day

i just want to know whether I can get along buying tickets, museum pass, paying in restaurants or cafe shops using just cash

My card charges a lot for using it in outside my country and same is the case even for withdrawing money from ATM.

as most of my bookings are done, i wanted to check if i can get by using cash

Thanks in advance.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
613 Reviews
US$76 per adult
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
671 Reviews
US$49 per adult
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,251 Reviews
US$104 per adult
27 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,120 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can I get along using cash in Paris

Getting Euros from your bank or from exchange bureaus will probably cost more than ATM charges. I can't think of anywhere you mentioned that would not take cash. We never tried to pay a hotel bill with cash, but I don't see why not as long as you are not using 500 Euro bills which are pretty much not taken anywhere. 100s are also difficult to use except for very large bills.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
265 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can I get along using cash in Paris

No problem at all.

Paris
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can I get along using cash in Paris

The legal limit for paying anything in cash nowadays in France is €1,500, so, you see, you can splurge a bit! Be aware though that, apart from supermarkets and department stores, any bill larger than €100 will be frowned upon (even though they are legally required to take any kind of cash, but this is France, the customer is not king... )

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: can I get along using cash in Paris

100 Euro bills might prompt the cashier to check the bill but we've never had any hassle when paying using one but it wouldn't be very polite to present a 100 Euro bill to the storekeeper of a tiny store for a purchase of only Euro 1.50 for example as producing change for such a bill might be a difficulty.

Edited: 23 August 2017, 16:04
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can I get along using cash in Paris

If you are coming from an Asian country, you need to know that this is a common problem. As a result, a lot of visitors from Asia travel with large amounts of cash. Pickpockets know this and Asians are a prime target. If you are carrying large quantities of cash, you need to leave most of it in the safe each day and carry the rest in a money belt.

Edited: 23 August 2017, 16:32
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: can I get along using cash in Paris

Very good advice. We usually work out a rough estimate of how much cash we will need for the day and then add maybe 50 Euros extra and keep the rest locked in the safe.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,638 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can I get along using cash in Paris

We were in Paris last year and except for paying the hotel bill, used nothing but cash with no problems.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
California
Level Contributor
377 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can I get along using cash in Paris

You can use euros easily

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,164 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: can I get along using cash in Paris

Your primary issue would be the safety of the currency in your possession. Think of the Fee your bank charges for using the ATM as insurance against theft and loss.

What currency are you going to be travelling with? Euros? If any other, you may find it difficult to exchange as Banks will normally deal only with their customers (some exceptions may exist but not worth mentioning) and FX Exchange Bureaus will probably cost you more than your bank's fees.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: can I get along using cash in Paris

> My card charges a lot for using it in outside my country and same is the case even for withdrawing money from ATM.

Just be prepared that changing cash is not free either. Unless your home currency is the Euro you're looking at a hefty exchange fee to get your Euro cash.

You'd have to compare that to the fees for using the card. For most people the cards are much cheaper than using cash.

Edited: 24 August 2017, 15:20
Reply to: can I get along using cash in Paris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted