We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I wear my beautiful evening gown in Paris?

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I wear my beautiful evening gown in Paris?

I am going to Paris next month and on the evening of my 21st Birthday I would love to wear my evening gown which is floor-length and fitted. Does anybody know of any restaurants or evening formal events I could attend with my boyfriend where I will not look overdressed? For example; dinner in the eiffel tower / the Seine dinner cruise, is it appropriate for me to wear a dress like this?

Thank you in advance x

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
673 Reviews
from US$75.30*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Skip-the-Line Admission...
730 Reviews
from US$49.00*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from US$104.00*
19 replies to this topic
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,723 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I wear my beautiful evening gown in Paris?

There are not a lot of occasions to wear a dress like that in Paris, which is much more of a cocktail dress kind of city.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,680 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I wear my beautiful evening gown in Paris?

An evening gown is really too much even for a Michelin-starred restaurant. You would have to go to balls, nice wedding receptions, or similar high-end functions to dress like this.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I wear my beautiful evening gown in Paris?

Honestly? It's Paris - if you can rock it then there is no where better to wear it where ever you want!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,604 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I wear my beautiful evening gown in Paris?

On the Seine cruise you will be surrounded by people in jeans and shorts and casual tourist attire.

A very high end restaurant like La Tour d'Argent would work but the rest of the guests will be in cocktail dresses or black pants and fancy tops even there. But you would not look really out of place there and who knows they might give you a better table.

Your best bet might be good seats at opening night for an opera, but even then while you see a few formally dressed people, most people are more casual.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I wear my beautiful evening gown in Paris?

The ballet at the Palais Garnier. My wife and I did this in May. Not everyone was dressed up, but many were, and the venue is spectacular.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I wear my beautiful evening gown in Paris?

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions! I think I may just pick a classy restaurant and wear my dress with confidence! Perhaps with a scarf or jacket I can dress it down a little to look more casual.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,219 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I wear my beautiful evening gown in Paris?

I wish you luck, and am glad to see posts from people wishing to "dress it up" a bit.

All too often, I see folk wanting to do a fine-dining restaurant, or similar in torn jeans, a t-shirt, and jogging shoes.

Enjoy yourself, and Happy Birthday!

Hunt

Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I wear my beautiful evening gown in Paris?

Opéra. You don't need good seats. 25 euros for seats is fine. Spend the difference on champagne before, during and after the show, one at each interior bar on each floor. Get there early and milk the moments. Once seated, not even your neighbour will notice you so walk around before, during intermission, after and own the place. Hit the Hanoï Café for pre cocktails if too early or need some Asian tapas to hold you over. Happy Birthday! A+

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I wear my beautiful evening gown in Paris?

Happy 21st Birthday! Wear your dress anywhere you want and wear it with pride! Why not pop in to the Ritz for a glass of Champagne. 23.50 euros a glass at Hemmingway's Bar. I know it's pricey but in 21 years time (hopefully) you'll be looking back at this special memory and not thinking I wish I hadn't spent that amount of money! And don't feel intimidated by going to the Ritz - a lovely member of staff took us all the way down the long hall to the Ritz and told us in English about the refurbishment etc. A great experience.

10. Re: Where can I wear my beautiful evening gown in Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2017, 18:18

Reply to: Where can I wear my beautiful evening gown in Paris?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted