We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My daughters in Paris

liverpool
Level Contributor
401 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
My daughters in Paris

I have around £500 pound budget and 3 girls to spend 3 nights in Paris, January 2017. Its my daughters 16th and older daughter and friend are taking her. She loves Hotel de la Porte Doree style, classic, with juliette balcony, they offer slippers (shelikes the little touches) But, its outside Paris centre. They are going to Lourve, river cruise, shopping and effiel tower while there. They are not big foodies, will keep it simple in boulangeries and cafes. Is Hotel de la Porte Doree easily accessible from airport and from and into centre? Don't fancy them travelling around all the time on the metro although my older daughter has been before. Is there another hotel someone could recommend that is the style and has reviews of the Doree? Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hotel de la Porte Doree
Hotel de la Porte Doree
787 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Monge
Hotel Monge
#3 of 1,815 hotels in Paris
Hotel Fabric
Hotel Fabric
#6 of 1,815 hotels in Paris
12 replies to this topic
Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My daughters in Paris

I stayed at the Hotel de la Porte Doree a couple of years ago. I did like it and stayed in a very small single room on the first floor. There was an almost constant noise from the metro running under the hotel so maybe try and look at room reviews on TripAdvisor to select a quiet one. It is a bit out from the centre but I didn't find it a problem as the metro is just a 2 min walk. There's a lovely baker's across the road, Vandermeersch who do delicious Keugelhofel sweet or savoury, bit expensive but worth it. There are probably similar style hotels closer to the centre but might not be within budget. I don't remember getting free slippers though!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel de la Porte Doree
Hotel de la Porte Doree
787 Reviews
Paris, France
Vandermeersch
Vandermeersch
129 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,936 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My daughters in Paris

The hotel is in Paris and that´s all you really need. The métro is absolutely safe. Kids as young as 12 years old take the métro to school and back every day, many traveling all alone. Your daughters should be able to do the same.

fifitrain - the métro train noise, which is not discussed here often, is one of the reasons why some of the lines switched to tires on cars rather than metal wheels on rails. If you happen to be right above a shallow line, the noise of passing trains is very noticeable.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My daughters in Paris

That's interesting to know Sarastro- my friend and I were discussing it only this year on our usual metro station Cambronne which has the tyres. So it's a new thing- we thought they were old especially as line 6 has the metal flip up handles (I love them and wish I had them on all my house doors-it's a thing with me to be first to open the doors, I'm always disappointed if I don't get to open the door first and someone else opens it. I love that mechanism) . However, Porte d' Oree is an almost constant rumbling from the metro.

Edited: 21 September 2017, 19:51
Mentioned in this post
Cafe Cambronne
Cafe Cambronne
357 Reviews
Paris, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My daughters in Paris

I can't imagine choosing a hotel on the edge of town for slippers rather than one right in the center especially since being out and about at night is such a joy and it sounds like these folks are a bit nervous about the metro at midnight. I'd sure get a hotel near the river in the center and bring my own slippers.

liverpool
Level Contributor
401 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My daughters in Paris

thanks any suggestions nearer centre

lisa

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
203 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My daughters in Paris

My personal recommendation is a little emblematic and typically Parisian. The outside looks like. holywood studio with a tiny place with plane trees , gas lights and a bench facing the roof "Du tout Paris"..... Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn are just missing out of the shooting frame! That worth a million of slippers even with a pink string knot on top! This is the "Tim hotel" in Montmartre. But book asap!!

Edited: 22 September 2017, 06:38
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Fred Hotel
Fred Hotel
827 Reviews
Paris, France
Montmartre
Montmartre
16,228 Reviews
Paris, France
Cambridge
Level Contributor
225 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My daughters in Paris

My 20 year old daughter is living in Paris for 6 months and would definitely tell you that your girls should be in the centre. I've stayed in a few hotels in different areas recently whilst visiting here and the area I would recommend for them is 5th - central to all they want to do and buzzing with cafes and bars and young people. I stayed at the Hotel Excelsior Latin which was fine, but in December I'm looking to book Hotel Atmospheres. It's in the same neighbourhood but looks a bit smarter - robes and slippers included ha ha - yes I like those touches too :-)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hotel Excelsior Latin
Hotel Excelsior Latin
1,235 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Atmospheres
Hotel Atmospheres
1,884 Reviews
Paris, France
liverpool
Level Contributor
401 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My daughters in Paris

Thank you so much really appreciate your replies.

liverpool
Level Contributor
401 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My daughters in Paris

Hi me again. Showed my daughter the options and she is adamant that she would prefer an apartment as the bedrooms are cramped. Explained all about this being normal in Paris but can anyone now suggest an apartment in a central location suitable for these 3 girls within the budget of £500 thank you so much hopefully will get there in the end.

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My daughters in Paris

They need to start searching Airbnb and Vrbo. The search is part of the fun of visiting Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Reply to: My daughters in Paris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted