We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice

Hi, I've never been to Paris before and am really looking for some tips and advice. We are a family of 3 (daughter is 12) and want to stay somewhere where some of the sights are walkable but also handy for metro . I am finding myself confused as to areas and probably overthinking it. I have been thinking perhaps left of right bank? but am open to suggestions.

Our budget is around 150 euros per night and we'd like a family friendly area.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
670 Reviews
from US$48.90*
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
611 Reviews
from US$75.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator Exclusive: Eiffel Tower Visit...
156 Reviews
from US$56.10*
5 replies to this topic
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice

Last time we were in Paris we stayed in the Rue Cler area. Although the market street is wonderful, and very close to the Eiffel tower, it was very far from everything else.

This time, we chose to stay as close to the Ile de la cite as possible (we are actually staying on Ile saint louis at Hotel Du Jeu De Paume. This is in very close proximity to all of the most frequented sites and makes them walkable (10-15 minutes vs. 45 minutes from Rue Cler).

The Ile de la cite is the center of Paris, you want to get as close to this as possible.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Rue Cler
Rue Cler
616 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
122,195 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel du Jeu de Paume
Hotel du Jeu de Paume
546 Reviews
Paris, France
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice

It literally doesn't matter where you stay as long as you are within the city limits. Many hotels are clustered around the left bank tourist ghetto, there is a good choice of high end places around Etoile, many European tourists like to stay at the grands boulevards or Montparnasse areas, the budget conscious tend to congregate around gate du Nord/Est.

The city is very compact and it is difficult to be in a truly bad location.

Personally I tend to stay in the southern parts of the city but this is the area I grew up in so it gives me a nostalgic feeling.

Mentioned in this post
Montparnasse
Montparnasse
1,111 Reviews
Paris, France
Cafe du Nord
Cafe du Nord
374 Reviews
Paris, France
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice

There are tons of threads answering just what you asked here. I went to Paris for the first time in October last year and found sorting through threads very helpful.

I stayed in the 6th which I really liked and actually went back in March to the same place. Some say it is "too touristy" but I liked it.

I also had a map laid out in my apartment which I looked at frequently to get a better understanding the layout of the city before arriving.

I used https://www.thefork.com/ to make some restaurant reservations. There are also sometimes discount options on that website for certain time slots.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
California
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice

Find something in the 4th, 5th or 6th as close to the river as you can afford, and you'll be happy!

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice

Thanks everyone. I spent ages trawling through posts on the forum looking st the advice before deciding to post... I don't know why I find it so daunting as am pretty well travelled . I think I just want our first experience of Paris to be fantastic :)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Reply to: Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted