We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air BNB Regulation Question

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Air BNB Regulation Question

Hi- We just booked air for our first trip to Paris next May and would really like to rent an apartment. I've read about the new Air BNB regulation, but I was curious if anyone had a vibe of the impact to a reservation made prior to implementation of the new laws? Is there any known advantage to booking now although our trip will be after the new regulation has started?

Thank you.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
686 Reviews
from US$73.60*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
745 Reviews
from US$47.90*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,283 Reviews
from US$111.00*
22 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

My guess would be that any reservation made for an illegal Airbnb (and that, currently, is most of them) before the new law starts to bite is more likely to be cancelled at short notice by the owner - once the authorities rumble him or her and threaten huge fines.

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

It's not a new law. It's just that it will be seriously enforced now. All those illegals lodgings have been illegal for a long time, but so far there were no real consequences. The new thing is that now, short-term rentals that want to operate legally with AirBnB need to have a registration number.

California
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

I suppose the easy answer is to wait till after December when the registration number is required, and see what is available to book after that.

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
733 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

Also, it's not just an AirBnB thing, but short term rentals in general-AirBnB is merely the poster child, no pun intended.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

There is no "Air bnb regulation", Paris doesn't make regulations like that about one specific company. There are regulations about short-term apartment rentals, particularly real short time like vacation apartments.

Oakville, Ontario...
Level Contributor
89 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

We are interested in booking a legitimate short term rental for one week in April for 6 of us. One of the rental companies has told us that they are waiting until December to see what the changes will be before proceeding with any bookings. The other company (more expensive apartments) is willing to take a reservation now. I have not seen registration numbers for either providers.

We are following this with interest as well but have booked hotel rooms that can be cancelled as a back up as I suspect hotels will be i shorter supply if these changes reduce the number of rentals available.

Any update from those in Paris would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited: 18 October 2017, 02:42
7. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 October 2017, 23:35
Edited: 19 October 2017, 23:35

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,373 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

There will be nothing to update until December when owners have had the opportunity to register their apartments. What you will be looking for is a 13 digit number like this which is from an Airbnb listing:

_____

License or registration number

_____

Once this system is firmly in place, expect the already increasing scrutiny of rental properties by city authorities to accelerate even more. The absence of registration numbers will make fining owners of illegal apartment rentals much easier for regulators.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
170 posts
159 reviews
9. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

Sarastro - I'm wondering if you know the answer to a question regarding short term rentals registration.

If I understand correctly from my reading on a variety of websites that discuss this issue, the regulations don't require registration for units that are zoned (classified?) commercial properties rather than residential. Do you know if this is the case, or will registration numbers still be required on those units zoned commercial (but not subject to the same limitations as those zoned residential)?

We stayed in a lovely apartment during our visit a few weeks ago. I asked the apartment owner about how the regulation would affect his unit. He explained that his unit is zoned commercial (it is on the ground floor of an apartment building, but opens into a courtyard and doesn't utilize the main entrance that access the apartments above). There are other units on the ground floor - many of which are in commercial use (doctor's offices, our apartment owner's business offices).

Just curious if you (or anyone else on the forum) knows how apartments such as this will be treated after December. It seems to be that there would need to be some way to note on AirBnB (or other short term rental sites) that an apartment is zoned commercial.

California
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Air BNB Regulation Question

If the apartment has a commercial license, the owner can easily obtain a registration number.

Reply to: Air BNB Regulation Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted