We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris - what to do-where to stay

harrow
1 post
Save Topic
Paris - what to do-where to stay

My husband and I are planning a weeked to Paris and are at a loss where to stay and where to go - can anyone make any recommendations about best area to stay so we can get to see main sites and rec abt hotel (3 star) What sights are a must - been reading some comments and it looks as if Popidou and CE not that rated. We are there for a short time and therefore will be limited in terms of what we can do - what are the def must sees????

Any rec on hotel and cost of trip we should be expecting...

any assistance would be most appreciated

Florida
Level Contributor
17,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris - what to do-where to stay

hi there... wondering, have you bought a guide book or read one from the library as yet? or checked the "Insider Pages" on Tripadvisor, or looked at "Destinations" under Fodors.com or Frommers.com ... ?

You've got to do a little of the legwork, espec. around 'what to see', since total strangers have no idea what you like or dislike doing.

There are tons of posts that recommend hotels - try reading a few of those, espec. if you see mention of something in your budget.

Here are some to get you started:

http://www.parisnet.net/parismap.html

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k10947…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k10667…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k10920…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k10866…

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris - what to do-where to stay

lawford,

Since you have already discovered TA, the easiest way to get started is to click on "Paris Overview" in the list to the left of this page. Hhere you will find a list of some popular hotels, as well as, the top 20 attractions in Paris.

As far as cost goes (in addition to airfare and hotel ), you can expect to spend on average at least 50 Euros for food per person.

It will depend whether breakfast is included in your room or not. Hotel breakfast can run 6-30 Euros, and a cup of coffee and pastry at a local bakery runs around 6. For lunch allow 5-7 Euros for a street vendor or take-out sandwich, and 9-15 E for a light cafe lunch. Allow minimum for a set menu price of 12-30 Euros for a cafe dinner of 2-3 courses and a glass of house wine. Of course food can also cost HUNDREDS of Euros per person for exclusive high-end establishments.

Sightseeing runs 30 Euros/person for a 2 day Paris Museum Pass (45 for 4 day), and 7-8 Euros for museums separate from the pass. Metro is around 1.40 Euros a ticket, discounted if you purchase a Carnet of 10 tickets. Taxis within central paris average 6 Euros for a fairly short, but convenient, taxi to Montmartre can average 9 or so. Batobus (water taxi) and open double deck buses can be used for transportation also, but price completely escapes me. You can search for these on TA or internet.

Taxi from CDG to Paris runs about 42-50 E depending on traffic. Express buses like Air France or Roissy come in closer to 8(?) i think.

You probably won't have time for Versailles-but its 25-26 for RT train (RER C line) and all inclusive One Day Pass for wkd in high season (approx 6 Euros for RT train if you already have a Paris Museum pass).

These prices are as I remember them from last summer, so they could be a bit higher now. Hope it has helped you however.

T.

3. Re: Paris - what to do-where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 22:17