We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water quality in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Water quality in Paris

Are all the reports about water quality in Paris true ?

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water quality in Paris

what are the 'reports'?

we usually drink tap water at bistros and cafes with dinner -- as do most of our fellow diners -- sure saves money

California
Level Contributor
442 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Water quality in Paris

If the 'reports' say that you can drink the 'tap' water - yes you can!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water quality in Paris

It's good enough that a certain well-known Irish outfit secretly pipes the stuff in the back door at St. james's Gate to make you know what — or at any rate they would if they could...

Still, if you're not used to imbibing your water straight, perhaps for the good of your health you should stick to wine while you are in Paris. I've noticed that a lot of my Irish friends have a habit of sterilizing their water with some amber liquid out of a bottle before they drink it... ;-)

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water quality in Paris

Please don't give away the secret recipe for Guinness, Irs Rover.

As regards the reports, I read in yesterday's papers that there are problems in relation to the water supply to a few streets adjacent to Notre Dame. Apparently, the pipes have rusted and the water is not dissimilar to the colour of goat's urine. The smell resembles, but does not exactly parallel, that of goat's cheese. Apparently, it is not a danger to health. But a lot of diners in restaurants have been offended when handed carafes containing the foul-smelling and evil-looking liquid. However, the problem is confined to a small are and it is anticipated that it will be rectified on or before Monday, March 27th.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water quality in Paris

The quality of tap water in Paris is excellent. We [exclusively] bought bottled water when we lived in downtown Seattle but we don't buy it anymore even though the village of Evian is nearby. Parisian water tastes better than bottled water and the city tests it and publishes the results yearly. It really is very good and very healthy.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water quality in Paris

Thanks for your reassurance. But, you know the way in London, the same water gets re-cycled thirteen or fourteen times ? Does Paris have a similar problem with excessive re-cycling of water ?

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water quality in Paris

you bought water in Seattle? a town that gets its water from snow melt? hmmmm

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water quality in Paris

>>>The quality of tap water in Paris is excellent.<<<

hmmmmm........ that certainly depends on what you compare it with !

I find Paris tap water flat and tasting too much of chlorine - typical big city water. I can drink it - but I do not like the taste. I am used to cold fresh subsoil water - so in Paris I prefer bottled water.

Illinois
Level Contributor
982 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water quality in Paris

I repeatedly filled my water bottle from the tap in our apartment, and drank tap water out in restaurants and cafes, w/o any issues. Tasted fine to me.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water quality in Paris

Apparently, it's superior to the water in Seattle.