We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Montparnasse to popular sights

South Africa
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from Montparnasse to popular sights

We have been offered someone's apartment in the Montparnasse area in July, free of charge so we can't pass up this offer. We have not been to Paris before. Could you please give us some tips on using the transport network as well as the best way to travel from Montparnasse to the usual sights e.g. Louvre, Eiffel, Ille de la Cite etc. Any travelling tips for a non French speaking first timer?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,178 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Montparnasse to popular sights

You can walk from Montparnasse to the Eiffel Tower, Rodin Museum and St Germain des Pres. The rest is an easy metro ride. Montarnasse is a great location with lots of transportation options.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Montparnasse to popular sights

while I might have chosen a somewhat more central place for a first time trip (without a free apartment of course and you are wise to stay with this), it is actually kind of nice in Paris to be in a less touristy spot -- and this is not far out -- you can walk many places you will want to see -- and the metro is simple to use and inexpensive for going elsewhere

Paris is the easiest big city in the world to get around in -- mostly by foot, but the metro is easy to use by even the most clueless first timer -- it is extremely well signed with enormous maps everywhere -- and as you leave a metro station there is a large map of the immediate environs, so you can know exactly where to go when you emerge

Montparnasse is also the train station you use to go to Chartres which I highly recommend -- a wonderful day trip

and since you are so close, you might want to go to the top of the tower rather than go up the Eiffel -- no long lines, a great view and the only place in Paris you can't see the ugliest piece of architecture in this almost perfectly beautiful city (what were they thinking?)

you can still walk around the Eiffel which is gorgeous at night and less ugly than you might think in the daytime, up close (I like the brown)

Florida
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Montparnasse to popular sights

Can you give a more specific location, as 'Montparnasse' is partly the 6th, 14th and 15th...

South Africa
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Montparnasse to popular sights

Dear Travelnutty, at this stage I don't know where the apartment is as it belongs to a friend of a friend who we will be visiting in Brittany first and then I will be given the details and the keys. I have been to London a few times and find the tube very easy to use but I think I am worrying that my lack of French might hamper me in Paris

Florida
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Montparnasse to popular sights

Don't worry about that. It would be nice if you can master the basic 'niceties' (merci, s'il vous plait, madame/monsieur, bonjour, au revoir, parlez-vous anglais?..)

I imagine most of the thousands who visit Paris don't have any more French than that.

The metro and bus system is excellent - the lines are identified by their 'ends'... the official website is www.ratp.fr (unfortunately the most detail is in the French version but there are maps and a router in the English version, too).

Tutorial:

www.atkielski.com/PDF/data/ParMetro.pdf

Free maps, museum plans, etc at Parisnotes.com

www.parisnotes.com/free/pnfreestuff.html

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Montparnasse to popular sights

In front of gare Montparnasse you have several buses one of them being 95 which will take you to Montmartre and cross all of Paris. Stops at Louvre and Opera.

Metros are in the train station as well but there is a lot to walk inside the station and underground. I prefer to walk outside and use metro at Gaiete, Notre Dame des Champs, Edgar Quinet, Vavin etc.

You will be able to walk to a lot of places on the left bank anyway.

7. Re: Travelling from Montparnasse to popular sights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 01:17