We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monet's Garden at Giverny in August

Daly City...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Monet's Garden at Giverny in August

I would really like to visit the gardens at Giverny when I am in Paris next year. I've read that it's best to visit in Spring. I'm wondering if the gardens will still be in bloom in August? Here at home depending on temperatures many things might not be flowering any more at that time.

If possible, I would also like to bring some small art supplies - at least pencil/paper and perhaps a travel watercolor set - and do some studies while I am there. I know from the website that photographs are allowed from the walkways. Are there benches or places I might sit to do a quick drawing while I am there?

11 replies to this topic
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
520 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Monet's Garden at Giverny in August

The gardens have different things flowering throughout the season it is open for touring. Here is a calendar that shows what is blooming when. http://giverny.org/gardens/fcm/calendar.htm

There are some benches around the edges, but it may be crowded, so they are not necessarily the best vantage point for sketching. Definitely worth a visit, though!

Daly City...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monet's Garden at Giverny in August

Thank you! I had completely missed the calendar, that is very helpful.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
401 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monet's Garden at Giverny in August

Could I suggest you get there as early as possible or stay as late as possible because when the 'Bus' brigade turn up mid-morning it can get absolutely packed with people.

Enjoy - well worth a visit.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monet's Garden at Giverny in August

There are a few benches on the perimeter of the garden and along the pond.

Marblehead
Level Contributor
135 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monet's Garden at Giverny in August

I was there at the end of May, and our group was the first one through the gates. Within ten minutes there were hordes of visitors, and I can't remember a tranquil spot where you could spread out your watercolors. You could possibly sketch. I wonder if the tour groups might thin out at the end of the day, but in any case the gardens are stunning, and you could easily take pictures and sketch or paint from them.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monet's Garden at Giverny in August

A chance to enter this place and admire the house and vegetation is by itself an honor. Can you do your sketching someplace else? You might be asking for quiet a place to sketch but crowds will not accommodate you. Will carrying that extra stuff with you be asking for problems? Like carrying your luggage with you on the plane rather than checking it for cargo space below. Will the L'Orangerie museum allow you to sketch scenes from the paintings? Not only the large crowds but their curiosity about what you are doing when you want to be left alone to sketch in tranquility. I can think of better ways to spend my time there. Photograph scenes and sketch from them later? Response #1 has much advice of merit. Response #3 and #5 also. To me it is like carrying on-board the plane your own food to make your own lunch at your seat when the airplane people want to serve you their lunch food. Cumbersome and troublesome to say the least. I hope this helps.

Daly City...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monet's Garden at Giverny in August

#6, I appreciate your response. I'm not asking for a quiet place to sketch, nor am I asking for a lot of space that would be intrusive to other visitors, but just somewhere to sit briefly and do a brief study (I'm particularly interested in the bridge and the house). Studies are quick and dirty - usually a 5 to 10 minute thing. You seem to be imagining a big easel with a bunch of equipment, and that is not at all the case. Generally when artists travel with supplies, unless they are traveling to a specific location specifically to paint/draw etc., they are taking a small sketchpad and a little zipper pouch full of pencils. For a travel watercolor kit, it is literally the size of a compact or perhaps a pack of cigarettes, and the painting is done on a small pad of watercolor paper without the use of an easel.

Regarding your question about sketching at L'Orangerie or another museum - it is actually quite common for artists to spend time at a museum sketching paintings. In fact, at least here at home, this is part of the curriculum for art students. You study the masters, and improve your skill. It is very common to walk through major museums here and see people sitting on the conveniently placed benches throughout the gallery, discreetly sketching. It is very UNcommon to see anyone bothering these artists with questions or curiosity. I'm not sure if it is different in France. Since many high school advanced art classes take trips to Italy and France to study the masters and do just this sort of thing, I wouldn't I wouldn't think it would be prohibited or frowned upon, but perhaps I am wrong.

At any rate, for me, carrying a small sketchpad and a few pencils in my backpack is less cumbersome than a camera around my neck. And taking the time to really look at something and do a quick sketch is more enjoyable for me than snapping a bunch of pictures but never taking the time to really look at what is in front of me.

Edited: 14 December 2017, 18:06
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monet's Garden at Giverny in August

In general, I find artists doing sketches in museums or elsewhere are much less intrusive than the flocks of tourists taking "selfies" in front of paintings.

Chatham, Illinois
Level Contributor
371 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monet's Garden at Giverny in August

Prior to Giverny, I'd highly recommend a visit to the Marmottan museum in Paris. Your appreciation of the works will only be increased.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
24,572 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monet's Garden at Giverny in August

While the paths thru the garden get crowded I think you'll find the space to do the quick sketches you are talking about. There are benches near the house as well. I can't remember and can't tell from my photos but they may also look toward the center of the flower garden and the arches that are along there. The PDF map of the garden doesn't show the benches near the house altho it does show the benches in a little cul de sac of the flower garden on the upper left. On the map you can't tell that there are walls separating the gardens from the road that runs thru it.

fondation-monet.com/wp-content/…Plan001.pdf

I've also often seen classes of kids of all ages sitting in various rooms sketching. This is fun to see but the big groups can be slightly obstructive - of course you'll just be on your own. Just curious so I looked at the regulations for d'Orsay regarding sketching/painting.

musee-orsay.fr/en/visit/individuals/copying-…

I did look on the main website for the Foundation Claude Monet and did not find anything about sketching in the gardens in the English version.

http://fondation-monet.com/en/

Edited: 14 December 2017, 19:52
Reply to: Monet's Garden at Giverny in August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted