We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering Res. Hotel in the 16th

san diego, ca
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Considering Res. Hotel in the 16th

Hi All,

My husband and I are considering a 5-night stay in May at Alma Marceau in the 16th (rue Jean Giraudoux). It looks like a nice area with metro stations close by.

My only concern (besides my bank account) is that the immediate area may not have many restaurants or markets.

Can anyone comment?

Dianne

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering Res. Hotel in the 16th

Hi fellow San Diegan,

The 16th is very residential and expensive. It is one of the nicer residental areas in Paris. It is kind of Rancho Santa Fe of Paris. I think the 7th around Musee D'orsay is much nicer. Nice, residental, and expensive (almost like the 16th) but there are many nice attractions. You can walk to the invalid, musee D'orsay, Saint Germain de Pres, the Seine (which is really awesome at night esp at Pont des art and pont neuf). In addition, the market around rue cler in that area is very nice. I see no real advantage staying in the 16th. Too far from everything though there are metros. 16th also tends to spread out a bit more. Walking is a great way to see and experience Paris. The 16th is not one of those unless you like to see all the grand apts.

But it seems that there are reasons why you want to stay around the Alma Marceau. If restaurants and markets are important to you, I the the Marais and Saint Germain are good bets. It sounds cliche but these areas are great esp if this is your first time to Paris. If you want to see how the area looks, try www.pagesjaune.fr (the French Yellow Page). On this website, you can type in the address of the place you want to stay, it will then give you the views of the area. You will see the facades and the streets of the area. It is too long to explain how to work the website. Just play with it a bit. It will give you a sense of what your neighborhood looks like. Very helpful. Good luck. If you have other questions, just ask.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering Res. Hotel in the 16th

In the case of Alma Marceau, I have to disagree with SDwanderlust. The middle-lower 16th is mostly residential and a bit lacking in amenities as mentioned but the area around Alma Marceau is really quite charming and well situated. I'd definitely consider it over the 7th.

3. Re: Considering Res. Hotel in the 16th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 14:19