We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip report-2 weeks of eating in Paris

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
1st trip report-2 weeks of eating in Paris

I wanted to at least start on my trip reports so I am beginning with eating out. We had some wonderful meals, mostly at small restos one with only 13 places and most spoke no English. Our first lunch was at Le Saint Amour-Mr Lenoir E. at 19, rue Etienne Marcel 1er. It has about 17 places and at noon had only a few patrons. The way Mr Lenoir told us about what was on the board was to show us the orders as he delivered them to the tables and said what they were in French.

Eric is the prop/chef/bar keep and tabac operator. And he is a wonderful chef. And does an excellent job pairing the wines with your meal.For entree, I had the pate maison du canard w/toast points. It was excellent. My husband had the herring salad, also very good. We both had the saucisse plate for mains and I have never had such a wonderful assortment of cold sausages ever. Superb! I also had the maison desert w/cognac and other liqueur sauce. Seriously delicious.

He has about 3 daily entrees and 4 mains plus 2 desert specials each day and if you blink walking past you might miss it. But it is a good choice for lunch when in the Les Halles area.

The next day was Sancerre 7e, which we visit each trip. We did not need reservations here for lunch. She always has a lovely omelette and a quiche. We had one of each, and as always, very good. This is a wine bar and she sets the bottle down and charges you for what you drink. We have always encountered locals there, no tourists except us. And of course, the fresh oysters are always a treat! And she shucks them outside the window. Her Crème Brule is somewhat different than traditional and excellent. And the daily special plum tart was outstanding.

On Thursday, at the suggestion of one of the usual posters here, we chose L’Ecluse Madeleine. An excellent choice. They specialize in Bordeaux and the daily choices are excellent. Both white and red. I had the best onion soup I have ever eaten. The soup is served in a bowl with the croutons and cheese separate. You simply add what you want. Oh and that soup….luscious! We had the daily special: Filet boeuf stroganoff, which was also excellent. And the Gateau de chocolate was pure chocolate heaven. At lunch it was filled with business people and well-to-do matrons. Always fun to people watch. Reservations are a must here for lunch.

Friday, we chose Le Brandevin-16e. Another repeat for us. And again, a wine bar. We didn’t have reservations, we just arrived a bit early. The waiter chose some excellent wine pairings. I had a dry-fruity white that was superb. And what a super meal that was. It was raining and she lets us sit until the staff had finished their meal, then came to serve us. Joe had the marinated green beans, always a good choice. But my asparagus-white fat spears- with hollandaise- was outstanding. And again we choose the daily specials. Joe a fillet-boring…but I had the coquille Saint-Jaques and it was to die for. Apparently many agreed with me because after about an hour that special was erased from the board. The daily desert specials looked very tempting and although full, we had the pear tart and as always there, outstanding. The wait staff is very attentive and helpful. And we are never disappointed with the food. Again, mainly locals at lunch.

Saturday was Fish La Boissonnerie, and as this is a fav of many on this board, I’ll only add, as usual, it didn’t disappoint. We didn’t have reservations and at about 13h00, they were turning people away. They open at 12:30 on Saturday. Cont.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
nebraska
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip report-2 weeks of eating in Paris

These are great detailed reports. May I ask if you can remember everything, or do you keep a notebook, as you go.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip report-2 weeks of eating in Paris

May I please ask if you know what the average cost was for your meals for two?

I think we want to try: Sancerre 7e and L’Ecluse Madeleine - Could you also give the street addresses or do you think I can find them with a search?

Merci,

You are making me hungry.

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip report-2 weeks of eating in Paris

About 45 euros per person. Don't forget we had several glasses of good vin with each meal.

Le Brandevin: 29, rue du Docteur Blanche 16e

l'Ecluse: 15 Place de la Madeleine 8e. There are 5 other locations.

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip report-2 weeks of eating in Paris

Sorry, you asked for Sancerre: 22, avenue Rapp 7e. Very near the Le Tour Eiffel.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip report-2 weeks of eating in Paris

Thanks for answering so quickly if you could only choose one of the two I asked about which would you go to?

I wasn't planning on 45 euro per person for any meals but one nice one would be good as I don't know if I will ever get this opportunity to pass this way again.

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip report-2 weeks of eating in Paris

I would pick Sancerre. It is a very local resto and wine bar. The food is simple and remember oysters aren't cheap. Without them and 1/2 bottle wine, it would have been about 25 euros per person. I like the area and the people who run it. l'Ecluse is more formal. I enjoyed it but probably won't go back. We will return to Sancerre.

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip report-2 weeks of eating in Paris

I take moleskines and keep extensive notes/sketches, like of the key for our apartment, receipts, complete meals and how things tasted, ribbon from the pink boxes from fauchon, people and conversations I overhear, etc. It becomes pretty full and this trip I filled two of them.

8. Re: 1st trip report-2 weeks of eating in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 23:19