We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things I bought in France....

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Topic
Things I bought in France....

I just returned a week ago - can't believe how time flies. I am working on getting around to typing trip reports, but until then here's a list of some things that I bought...

Foie Gras - This was my first FG purchase....I bought it in Roussillon - talked to the shop owner, she helped me with all my selections. I'm excited to have it!!!

Honey with Lavender - Roussillon

Mustard with herbes de provence - Roussillon

Mustard from the Maille Boutique - Moutard au bleu, Moutard de citron verte, et Dijon L'Original

Olive oil - Gordes, L'Isle Sur la Sorgue

Confiture: Peaches with Jasmine

Milk Bottle from Comptoir de Famille - Fell in love with this store!!!!

Spoons from La Vaissellerie - mustard sppons, salt spoons ect.

Macaroons from Laduree

I bought a square tupperware and brought back pain au chocolates for my family.

Chocolate and more chocolate

Labello chapstick - Monoprix

Herbes - Aix Market

Soap - Aix Market

Had dinner one night at Polidor - it was great. Wonderful atmosphere. I loved that it filled up so quickly and with French locals!!! The bathroom was yes, a hole in the ground, but it serves its purpose. I really enjoyed the Soupe Potiron...I can still taste it. MMM

And of course got my fallafel. L'As was closed, but the one up the street and around the corner was open - thank heavens!!!! I waited in line for 45 minutes though!

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things I bought in France....

A viola from Bernard Sabatier for $2000 in Feb 1999 off the Rue de Rome. Now appraised for $8000. RT flight from SF was $300. TVA refund was ~$400. US Customs tax ~$70. All tax deductible. To establish a reputation for flying to Paris for just a weekend amongst coworkers who dropped me off and picked me up ... priceless. Dang. I should have bought more than one.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things I bought in France....

Darth - I am already saying I should have bought more of some of the things that I did buy.

Oh - well, guess I'll just start a list for my next visit.

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things I bought in France....

- you should indeed. So you could have played a doubleconcerto......

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
444 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things I bought in France....

Hello Darth,

I visit Sabatier each time I go to Paris. Haven't bought an instrument from him, though.

I pick up some cello music from the vendors on rue de Madrid or rue de Rome. Some by French publishers is not available in the US--or very expensive.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things I bought in France....

Darth~

Ever consider working for MasterCard?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things I bought in France....

"I pick up some cello music from the vendors on rue de Madrid or rue de Rome. Some by French publishers is not available in the US--or very expensive."

The biggest problem is now FINDING sheet music. If you can find it, buy it, regardless of the price. Very few titles are available online anywhere. I am now running back and forth to the Library of Congress and other places to produce my own from the manuscripts.

The biggest sheet music shops in Berlin and San Francisco have both closed. The shops in Paris have a shockingly small selection. Berlin was the best possible source for Verlags, etc. It's a global catastrophe.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things I bought in France....

I have a ton of piano sheet music...very old ..... is there a market for that?

Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Things I bought in France....

Your shopping. Thanks so much for sharing. Where possible, would you pls provide addresses. Thanks.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things I bought in France....

"I have a ton of piano sheet music...very old ..... is there a market for that?"

Please don't throw it away & try to take care of it.

One of these days, we can hope that some organized system gets in place for swapping, used sales, etc.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things I bought in France....

We brought back from Monoprix:

Benedicta Mayo citron, and Bernaise sauce

Monoprix Vinagrette Natural salad dressing--all wonderful.

Even the ordinary store items are great!