We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-Paid Phone Cards In Europe

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-Paid Phone Cards In Europe

Unfortunately, we are phone illiterates. We will be traveling to Germany, Norway, Sweden, France, and Austria in June. Does anyone know if there is a prepaid phone card which can be purchased in Europe (or the States) and used in the aforementioned countries or are these country-restricted? Cell phones and hotel calling are, for us, out of the question.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-Paid Phone Cards In Europe

For many years we have used a AT&T PrePaid Phone card. The major advantage with their card is that the prepaid credit never expires. If you buy a PrePaid phone card from ‘down the street’ it may work but when you read the fine print you will find that any unused credit expire in 6 to 9 months.

The cost/minute of a phone call depends upon how many minutes you initially purchase or refill. At the AT&T website you can buy 300 domestic minutes for $19.99 or 6.6¢/minute. At Wal-Mart or Sams Club you can buy 1000 domestic minutes for $39.98 or 3.9¢/minute. You refill the card by phone, online, at a Wal-Mart or Sams Club.

http://www.consumer.att.com/prepaidcard/

The cost to call the USA from Europe is 39¢/minute. To call the US you dial the local country AT&T access number, then the AT&T US 800 number on the back of the card, then the card PIN number on the back of the card and finally the phone number in the USA. It can be rather frustrating when you miss-dial and have to start over but otherwise it has never failed us.

The local country AT&T access number is different for each county that you are in. A Demo of how to use the card and a list of the country AT&T access numbers is at:

www.usa.att.com/traveler/codes/view.jsp…

Note however, when you check-in at your hotel you do need to ask if there are extra phone charges when you use a prepaid card or if their system allows a prepaid card. We visited Spain for 3 weeks last year and the very upscale InterContinental Hotel in Madrid wanted to charge 2 € for each call when we use the card from the hotel room phone.

At 1 of our hotels in Sevilla their phone system was so ‘old’ that you could ONLY make calls from your room using their phone system. I asked how much a call to the US would cost and they said they would not know the cost until they got the charge back from the phone company. When I mentioned that the cost using my phone card would be 39¢/minute the entire front desk staff rolled their eyes and the Manager said the cost using their system would be more like 2 Euros/minute. Their excuse for an ‘old’ phone system was just another way for them to rack-up a huge profit from their guests. Needless to say we used pay phones and will not stay at that hotel in Sevilla again.

The only aggravating issue with the AT&T PrePaid card is that it costs 50¢ when you use it at a USA pay phone so it costs us extra to call the family and tell them that we have landed safely back in the US.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-Paid Phone Cards In Europe

I have often bought a small denomination telephone card overseas. The rates are usually pretty good, generally better than the cards available in the US.

Lately I have been using VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) services in internet cafes, with outstanding rates. As an example, the rate for use of the computer was 3 or 4 Euros per hour, and the LD rate was less than 0.10 Euros per minute, so I was able to both check and respond to my email messages and call home for less than 2.50 Euros maximum. Not a bad deal.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,191 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-Paid Phone Cards In Europe

We encountered similar problems trying to use a phone card in a hotel in Paris. It worked fine from a phone booth on the street. I go to Fat Bike Tours office in the 7th and buy the card they sell for $7.50. It is very simple to use and provided more than enough time for our one week stay in Paris. We had an apartment on this last trip and had no problem using it. We also had international roaming on our Cingular cell phones and they worked just fine, but were quite a bit more expensive. For some reason our grown kids always seem to have a need to call us when we are out of the country. LOL. From now on I'll have hubby call son back using the calling card to get all the details of the Nebraska football game.

Virginia
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-Paid Phone Cards In Europe

Hi:

One option you might consider is a World Access prepaid calling card from callingcards.com. We used one in France recently and had no trouble at all - and calls to the US were less than 4 cents per minute. Their website shows all of the countries that can be called, as well as a list of access numbers that can be used in those countries. (There were both local access numbers and a country-wide 800 number for France.) We are not BlackBerry, cell-phone, or VOIP literate, so this was the right solution for us.

San Diego
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-Paid Phone Cards In Europe

Thank you all for your input. We're going to look into the World Access option, for it seems very reasonably priced. Also, I'm noticing above this forum there are "sponsored links" to other calling card companies. Talk about clever advertising methods!

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-Paid Phone Cards In Europe

tripadvisor.com is owned and operated by expedia.com

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-Paid Phone Cards In Europe

We used an MCI calling card in Paris, we bought it at Costco years ago and just keep recharging it. The back of the card tells you how to dial; you will need to find out the country codes for all of those places. You won't want to talk a lot for 39 cents per minute, but it is good for keeping in touch. Pay phones were everywhere in Paris but I don't know if you will be in big cities.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,499 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-Paid Phone Cards In Europe

note that many off-brand calling cards bought in the US have their access numbers blocked at payphones in some countries(Germany and Italy, especially).

Harrisburg, PA
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre-Paid Phone Cards In Europe

I was just in Paris as a tour guide with another guide and bought 2 phones for us in case the group got split up.

Check out ebay. I am selling both for 40 dollars-ish. The cost to get both going for me was $110.

10. Re: Pre-Paid Phone Cards In Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 21:18