We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Talgo Night Elipsos from Barcelona to Paris-any advice

Level Contributor
104 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Talgo Night Elipsos from Barcelona to Paris-any advice

We will be taking the Talgo Night Elipsos from Bacelona to Pais in May. We have tickets for a Gran class sleeper cabin w/ basin & shower. Has anyone taken this train? Any advice or suggestions before traveling?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
502 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,183 Reviews
from US$108.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
789 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
628 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Talgo Night Elipsos from Barcelona to Paris-any advice

A few things to be prepared for: as I said, there's no baggage car, so all your stuff will be in your cabin with you. There's some space overhead - roughly equivalent to an overhead bin on the airplace - for about two carry-ons. We had two large suitcases, which we stored in the shower. Of course, if you plan to use the shower this will be a problem! It's very convenient if you can have everything you'll need for the night and morning in one small bag. They provide a nice amenities case - similar to first class on the airplane. Towels in the bathroom, etc. Reading light by the bed, space for a glass or bottle of water - pretty comfortable. No side table on this train, but a convenient fold-down ladder for the upper berth.

Here's one piece of advice I received on this board that I was grateful for: Board the train early, put your stuff in the cabin, and go to the restaurant car and get a table. The restaurant car has about 10 tables - half for 4 and half for 2. I got to the restaurant car at 8:45 and got the last table for two. By 9:05, all the tables were filled and you'd have to wait for the next seating, about 10:00 (or be seated with another party at a table for 4, if available). It's a decent menu, three courses (we had white asparagus - excellent!) We brought our own bottle of wine, but didn't need to - I think it is included.

They turn down your bed while you're at dinner, so you're all set when you get back. My advice: use the earplugs and take a sleeping pill. Ambien is my best friend on these trips.

Also: there is a "first class lounge" where you can wait for the train at Sants station, near track 9, and an elevator when it's time to board. The lounge is nothing fancy, but does provide a place to sit and wait, a few cold drinks, and an attendant who will come and get you when the train is ready to board. We boarded about 8:30 pm. I strongly recommend boarding early.

Breakfast is also included - very nice. The restaurant car had white tablecloths, nice glasses, flatware, candles. All adults, people properly dressed. Very European, and really fun. My husband thinks I'm crazy for liking this kind of travel, but I do.

One small point: I didn't think to ask for a cabin facing forward, and I don't know if you can. Our seats/beds faced backwards. It's not much of an issue, since most of the ride is in the dark, but in the morning it's easier to see the scenery when facing forward.

I don't think you can drink the water from the sink, so bring a few bottles.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to e-mail me at nj2sf@aol.com. It's fun!

Level Contributor
104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Talgo Night Elipsos from Barcelona to Paris-any advice

Thanks for the great info! If I think of something else I'll email you.