We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Paris Guidebook

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Paris Guidebook

It's our (my sister and I's) first trip to Paris and I am so confused with all the guide books available at the bookstore. Which one/s would you recommend for a first-timer -- detailed enough (to give background on the sights) but very handy? Thanks so much!

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Paris Guidebook

Trixie -

I don't believe that there is one "best" guide book

for Paris. This September will be my 6th visit

to Paris since 2000 and I am still learning things

from variouis sources.

Might I suggest you get on the web and look up everything

from a map of Paris to the bides.

Which book might be best for you depends on your

interests in Paris. Here are a few things on which you may

want to focus:

Hotels

Restaurants

Monuments

Gardens

Churches

History

Art

Music

etc.

Glean general information at the library in their

books, check out CD's or DVD's.

I like DK Eyewitness but would never bring it along,

it's way too heavy. At one time I refered to Michelin,

Rick Steve's and Footprint Paris. There are many

others.

Find out about the qualities of the Left Bank and

the Right Bank. Make a decision and start looking

at which arrondisement you might want to stay in.

Check out the hotels there and make a reservation.

How many days will you be in Paris and what do

you want to see. Make a list and start planning

your days. User a map so you don't back track.

Please leave some time to just be ! Smell the flowers

and a great cup of coffee several times.

I know quite a few people who have fallen in love

with Paris. Odds are you will be back.

How do I know ? The odds are in my favor once again;

come September.

Best Wishes

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Paris Guidebook

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide Paris (latest revised edition 2006)

A must-have for firsttimers to get an idea about the layout of the city, hundreds of sights, museums, parks, buildings etc. - and suggestions for walks, also a little off the beaten track. Filled with lovely photos. Not handy, but indispensable for planning, IMO. Also good for bedtime-reading in your Paris hotelroom, for planning the next day's adventures.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Paris Guidebook

Thank you GlitteK and Randy_Silver_Photo!

I was leaning towards Frommer's Paris 2007 (another heavy book) and getting DK Top 10 as my handy guide. By the looks of it, I think I should get the DK full book, instead. We will be in Paris for 4D/ 3N only, so we need to get to the best places in such short a time.

And yes, I am trying to scout and learn as much so I can make my own travel itinerary. And with all that I've read, I'm quite sure there'd be a next Paris trip after this.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Paris Guidebook

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k11437…

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Paris Guidebook

Oh yes, forgot about the "deck of cards" with Paris walks. Please take a look at the thread posted as a link by Amalie. People are very enthusiastic about these little cards/maps - and they should be extremely handy to carry around.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Paris Guidebook

TrixieNewYork - I have taken my trip yet and am also a first time visiter like you.

I have read Paris for Dummies which I thought was very informative and then I am taking with me the AAA Spiral Paris Guide - has great itineraries in it for each section of the city, a metro guide, and street maps. I also purchased the Paris Mapguide.

I plan to keep both in the bag I plan on carrying during the day.

Hope you have a marvelous trip.

Farmington Hills, MI
Level Contributor
311 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Paris Guidebook

I was so excited about planning my trip to Paris and rather went overboard in purchasing guide books. I bought the larger DK book, and also the DK Top Ten, the Rick Steves book, the smaller Frommers, the Rick Steves Phrase book, and a few other minor books. I would recommend NOT buying that many, as I got overwhelmed. I did get information from them all, though. I would suggest buying one or two larger ones, (take one, leave one home) and perhaps the DK Top Ten which you can carry in your daily purse/bag. The Phrase book was helpful and small too. The map in the Frommers was really good and useful and sturdy. You will get a wealth of information from the TA site. You probably can take some of these books out of your local library, read them for pleasure, and just take notes in a spiral notebook before you return them. My best suggestion is to start reading well in advance of your trip. It will give you a good mental picture of the areas of the city which will serve you well when you travel. Enjoy!!!!!!

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Paris Guidebook

I have the Frommers and the Michelin guides...I can say I don't like the structure of the Frommers.

Michelin green guide was good tho!

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Paris Guidebook

I like Frommer's and Steves. I was in Borders the other day and noticed that Frommer's daughter Pauline has a new Paris guide, which on first glance looks pretty good.

Scotland
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Paris Guidebook

hey,

This is my first time writing in the Paris forum, but I have been reading the posts for a few weeks now and I felt the need to join!! So much good, good info is shared everyday..so I thank you all for everything

I've read so far..now I'm about to venture into adding in my tuppence worth!

i'm going to Paris in three weeks time, and although I've been many times before and indeed I used to live and work not far from the city, this time I'm going with someone who's never been before so she's been reading up on LOTS, and we're planning lots so we can get as much done and seen ( and eaten!) as possible.

The books we rate, out of all that we have ( and we have a fair few) are the DK Real City Guide, and the Time Out Guide 2007. Both are good reads, and good for planning your time there...I have used DK top ten in the past and like that too.

Hope this helps.