We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport-Name on Ticket

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fremont, Nebraska
Level Contributor
46 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Passport-Name on Ticket

I use my maiden-married name when I got married but when we have traveled it seemed to cause major headaches with the airlines. So I applied for my passport with just my married name and my ticket to from NY to Paris is in my married name. Just got a call from the passport agency and they said they can't put it in my married name without me changing everything that has my name on it over to just the married name so the passport will read maiden-married. Is this going to be an issue with Aerlingus or the customs/Immigration? Has anyone else had this experience and gotten along ok with it? My co-worker uses her maiden-married name and just went to Aruba in March and her ticket only had the married name.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,535 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport-Name on Ticket

Customs/Immigration will only look at your passport, not your ticket, so it doesn't matter to them.

For the airline, I would contact Aer Lingus directly and get their advice. Anything else, (including THIS response lol) is going to be second-hand information.

And just to clarify this "maiden-married name" stuff...

So your name at birth was "Mary Smith" and after marriage you use "Mary Smith-Jones"?

So now you'll have a ticket saying "Mary Jones" and a passport saying "Mary Smith-Jones"?

Fremont, Nebraska
Level Contributor
46 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport-Name on Ticket

Yes that would be correct! I feel better about customs because that's where I thought I would run into trouble.

I'll give aerlingus a call and see what they say!

Thanks!

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport-Name on Ticket

My sister was going on a honeymoon last year, she had her married name on her ticket but her maiden name on her passport.

It was ENORMOUSLY difficult for her, to the point where they almost didn't let her board. Luckily she happened to have her marriage certificate on her which had her maiden name on it, and she got on the plane, but had a problem every time she entered customs.

This is tricky...do your research.

les

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport-Name on Ticket

This is hardly ever a problem.

All you have to do is go to a notary and bring your birth certificate and your marriage licence and a dated note for them to sign that the person with this maiden name and maiden-married name is the same person.

I think it cost me $3.50 to do that.

You can call the airlines to find out their requirements also... but then you will have it on hand for any other airlines you take.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport-Name on Ticket

yes, I have had this problem...but I always carry a copy of my marriage license (just a copy, not official or notarized, although it has the copy of the official seal, etc.) in my wallet and as long as I have shown anyone this--- I have been fine!

I would definitely carry this around with you though for the trip...just in case!

Diz
UK
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport-Name on Ticket

Ouch, this is somewhat scary - you can board a plane with the wrong name on the passport and a photocopy to explain the change?

Most of the flights I've booked recently have been quite clear that the name on the ticket has to be *exactly* the name on the passport. I've always assumed there may be some kind of prior security check on the names, and that won't happen if the name is wrong.

Just cos I'm paranoid ......

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport-Name on Ticket

you are right to be paranoid, the airlines are. This is not something to blow off,you don't want to be stranded at the airport.

Call the specific airline and do what they tell you to do. It sounds like the marriage certificate works pretty well...

Fremont, Nebraska
Level Contributor
46 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport-Name on Ticket

AerLingus said it would be ok, they would make a note of the maiden name but since my surname is on the ticket and the surname is on the passport I would be fine.

Just another reason for my DH to complain about me keeping the maiden name-married name!! Oh well!

Fremont, Nebr.
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport-Name on Ticket

I would suggest discussing this with you Husband, maybe he needs to change his last name??!!

This sounds like you have had troubles with this issue many times before - never wait till the last minute to get things in order..

You should consult with your Travel Agent...

Fremont, Nebraska
Level Contributor
46 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport-Name on Ticket

Travelenbr-

You sound Just Like My Husband...........silly man!!!

I will be just fine and mind you alot of women keep their names in marriage, Womens Lib!!