We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question for local expert on restaurants

Salerno, Italy
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
question for local expert on restaurants

I would love to know yor opinion on the following restaurants/bistros or any personal recommendations for non tourist establishments near the 5th or 6th.

What is your opinion on: Allard. Brasserie Bourbon. Le Precope. La Bastide Odeon. Thanks a million

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question for local expert on restaurants

You are likely to run into tourists in the 5th or 6th arrondissements and especially at Allard and le Procope!

I have always enjoyed la Bastide Odeon, it is one of my favorites around Luxembourg garden. I also like le Bouillon Racine rue Racine. Good food and great decor.

Salerno, Italy
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: question for local expert on restaurants

Thank you for your prompt reply. Could you recommend any other favourite places to eat or for coffee as we will be in Paris for 4 nights, not necessarily in the 5th or 6th. Thank you again.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,002 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question for local expert on restaurants

If the Brasserie Bourbon is the same as Le Bourbon in the Latin Quarter I stop there every trip to Paris for dinner - generally salad Nicoise and moules frites and a bottle of wine. We've also had frogs legs there. The food is good and it's a perfect spot to watch people pass by.

Pjk

USA
Level Contributor
28,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question for local expert on restaurants

>>>You are likely to run into tourists in the 5th or 6th arrondissements and especially at Allard and le Procope!<<<

The Le PROCOPE is one of those Parisian '..institution..' that does tend to draw patrons with guidebooks tucked into pockets...and on the ocassion we visited, we were more impressed by the 'old world decor'.... than the food or service and never felt the need to return.

The RESTAURANT ALLARD is certainly in a popular '..tourist neighborhood..' of the upper-6eme but on the several occasions that we've dined there, there have been more local residents and Parisian professionals from the neighborhood than tourists (it seems a popular spot for those from the many publishing houses and galleries in the immediate vicinity) . Regardless of the '..mix..' of patrons on any given evening; it doesn't alter the food or the service a bit---both are wonderful...and the brothers Layrac have managed to put the Allard back on it's feet and restore it's past reputation.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question for local expert on restaurants

janettemac: I know this is rather late, but Allard is one of our favorite restaurants. I cannot remember a trip to Paris when we didn't eat there. The key is to go there for lunch when the patrons are all Parisian business people out for a two-hour lunch, locals and families. Avoid Allard during the evening when many of the patrons are tourists. Great food, terrific atmosphere and very authentic. Enjoy.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,079 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question for local expert on restaurants

Le Proscope, we entered we sat down and we waited and waited, we had a reservation, and it was not that busy. After about 15 minutes we got up and left, menu did not inspire either.

In the 6 th there is a nice place for moules and beer, near Metro Odeon, called the Horses Tavern I believe , very good food . Simple place.

We also went to Brasserie Lipp. Do not go there. Food was not good and service less so.

anchorage
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question for local expert on restaurants

" Avoid Allard during the evening when many of the patrons are tourists. " Can someone explain this type of comment to me? Isn't it a tourist saying it? If the food is the same, I'm guessing all this has to do with not wanting to have (other?) tourists in view. What is so bad about that that one would recommend not going in evenings just because tourists might be present. Seems pretty effete and snobby, or am I missing some point?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,079 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question for local expert on restaurants

frozeninak, you are right, that is a silly comment.

anchorage
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: question for local expert on restaurants

I understand and welcome warnings of tourist traps, restaurants where the location dictates the service, and patrons are overcharged and hurried. If this is what is intended in the "avoid tourist spots" advice, that is fine. I can also appreciate someone's interest in going to those places which represent local culture and cuisine rather than chains. Hopefully this is what is meant when a tourist asks for help locating a non tourist establishement.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: question for local expert on restaurants

i would say : HIGHLY AVOID Allard and Le Procope, both are "tourists" places and since a long time, Allard is no more in charge of the restaurant, has been sold and they have kept the name. Better try www.zekitchengallery.fr ...no idea about Brasserie Bourbon or Bastide Odeon ....