We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking the Metro

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
253 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Taking the Metro

I will be travelling to Paris in July. What's the best way to ride the Metro if I am planning a 3-4 day stay? is there such thing as a day pass or 3 day pass?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking the Metro

Hopefully, "Metromole" will respond (knows everything there is to know). I think the answer is the passes are only for a week. But, you can get the "carnet de billets" (pack of 10 tix at a modest discount).

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking the Metro

Yes, there are several options:

- The Paris Visite card is available for 1, 2, 3 or 5 days, and for zones 1-3, 1-5 or 1-8; usually the "zones 1-3" version will suffice. A Paris Visite card zones 1-3 for 3 days will cost €18.60

- The Mobilis day ticket; as long as you stay on the Metro in central Paris (zone 1-2), it costs €5.50

- Depending on when you arrive and leave, a "Carte Orange" week ticket might be an option (€16 for zones 1-2). The week starts monday morning and ends sunday night, tickets for the current week are sold up to wednesday. You will need a passport photo for it.

If you want to travel to one of the airports, Versailles, etc., you might need a ticket for zones 1-5 or more - check the RER map.

More info on www.ratp.fr - but note that on the English part of that site, cards like the Mobilis ticket are not shown!

Montreal
Level Contributor
152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking the Metro

If you know you are going to jump on and off subway all the time in order to put in as much tourist sight as possible, the visit card sounds like a good idea...even then, most of the sights you'll probably want to visit will be within short easy distance from one another. Jumping in subway at every opportunities takes away the pleasure of walking in Paris IMHO.

A 10 tickets "carnet can be bought for 11 E and I can't imagine you can use 2 in 3-4 days. You can buy them at the counter...might be a couple of Euro more but it's a no hassle solution that works out for most.

Enjoy

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking the Metro

Recently returned from Paris. Purchased the 10 ticket count for a 4 day stay. Used them all. I found it to be the best buy for my needs.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking the Metro

Thanks Berkeley_travelers but it's actually KDKSAIL who has an encyclopedic knowledge of this kind of info. I might be able to help with routing questions but fares and tariffs change all the time and KDK keeps track of them.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
253 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking the Metro

Thanks all of you !

berkshire
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking the Metro

i would also like to thank you all as my gf and i are going for a 3 day break at witson and were wondering bout getting about also THANK U ALL

La Libertad, Ecuador
Level Contributor
58 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking the Metro

i remember a forum discussion on this where someone calculated that the carte orange was the best deal if you were able to use it for at least 5 of the 7 days. KDKSAIL definitive answer?

9. Re: Taking the Metro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 18:21