We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me finalize Paris hotel choice..

NJ
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Please help me finalize Paris hotel choice..

I’ve spent the last few weeks reading through tripadvisor reviews and the posts on this forum and I am really torn between Hotel Therese (1st) and Hotel le Senat (6th)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d269333…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d250387…

I see in the posts most people recommend staying in the 5th, 6th (Latin Quarter/St Germain) or the 4th (Marais) but then I have been told the 1st is the best for 1st time visitors because of proximity to most of the sights.

Some info about us: We will be in Paris July 10-14. We are a young couple (28/31) this will be my first time there (my husband was there over 10yrs ago) and the trip is to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary. We are looking for a hotel that is very central, close to the main tourist sights, offers rooms with 2 twin beds together (or 1 king) and has air-conditioned, preferably non-smoking rooms. We definitely seem to favor recently renovated properties with classic yet stylish décor and we hope to spend between 150-200 euro/night. We are hoping for a hotel that is within 5 minutes from a main metro line and from a concentration of restaurants/cafes/shops. We normally sleep with earplugs in so a little noise would be ok (but not too much).

I already contacted Hotel Therese and they have one room left - a tradition room for 175Euro/night. For Hotel le Senat I have found a rate of 185 euro for a standard twin and 205 for a classic twin.

Which one do you think is best for us?

Thank you in advance for any input.

Melina

New York City
Level Contributor
37 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me finalize Paris hotel choice..

Hi Melina,

This might not be the answer you are looking for... but probably either one would be great. Central Paris isn't that big and you can walk to many popular sites from either location. If I had to choose right now (I was in Paris last week) I would probably pick the hotel in the 1st, just because it's ever-so-slightly closer to the Louvre, the Pompidou, Les Halles, the Marais and the islands.

Don't worry about being near a Metro station since they're never far from anywhere; it's a very efficient system. The city buses are also good, and the "bateau bus" on the Seine goes to many riverside spots.

On the other hand, the 6th is an especially lovely neighborhood with scads of restaurants, cafes and charm, so take the plunge! It really doesn't matter... one can easily stroll across the river from the 1st to the 6th in about 15 minutes.

Just go, and discover the beauty of the City of Light. Bon chance!

USA
Level Contributor
28,044 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me finalize Paris hotel choice..

>>>I see in the posts most people recommend staying in the 5th, 6th (Latin Quarter/St Germain) or the 4th (Marais) but then I have been told the 1st is the best for 1st time visitors because of proximity to most of the sights.<<<

Perhaps you should look at a good street map of Paris and orient yourself to the city, locate the various arrondissements and their relative location to the sights and attractions that interest you most...and locate the two hotels you are considering ?? You'll find that ANY of the arrondissements--1er-Louvre / Tuileries; 3eme--upper-Marais; 4eme--lower-Marais / Îles on the Right Bank and 5eme-Latin Quarter; 6eme--Saint Germain des Prés will all be about equally weel situated to the major sights and attractions.

We're especially partial to the convenient, interesting, active neighborhoods of the upper-6eme--Saint Germain des Prés...so the recommendation may be coloured somehwhat by a decided personal preference.... but for your criteria...take the HÔTEL Le SENAT at 10 rue Vaugirard, 75006 for a much better location for your purpose.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me finalize Paris hotel choice..

One thing I would say about St German de Pres - my favourite area - is that it isn't great for the Metro. There are decent stations at either end, but the ones in the middle of the area (St Germain de Pres and Mabillon) are on lines that don't really go anywhere helpful. You have to change to get to tourist attractions and airports.

If this is important to you, you need to bear it in mind, but I would still choose St Germain over the first any day - great atmosphere day and night.

tim'otea
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me finalize Paris hotel choice..

I don't want to create confusion if you already made your choice, but did you take into consideration also the Britannique (1st) or the Little Palace (3rd)? I've seen on nyceparis.com that both still have rooms available for your price range.... actually I thought that July wasn't high season for the hotels in Paris... it shouldn't be so difficult to find a lovely room....

New York
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me finalize Paris hotel choice..

We are going for the first time in Sept/Oct and we booked a great hotel in the 7th per recommedations from tripadvisor members, when I posted the same post. This hotel has been recently renovated and is a full non smoking hotel and has been given great reviews on TA, it is called Hotel Muguet for only 130 euro (Queen) and 170 euro for the most expensive room you really can't go wrong.

Cheers,

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me finalize Paris hotel choice..

Hi there - I stayed in the Latin Quarter - Hotel Famillia 11 rue des Ecoles and loved it. Rooms were clean and quiet - good linens, self contained bath, small fridge and breakfast each morning. The Chocolate croissants and amazing coffee really started your Parisian holiday feeling. Very close to everything - we walked to Notre Dame and the booksellers in moments. There are lots of Metro stations nearby and "food street" is just 10 minutes away. I wouldn't even think of another location! Have fun on your trip.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me finalize Paris hotel choice..

Dear Melinaw:

Just to confuse you further...I'd recommend staying at the Hotel le Verneuil, located in the 6th, and 2 blocks from the Seine. It is owned by the same lady who owns the Hotel Therese. The hotel is on a quiet side street, very close to the Rue Jacob, one of my favorite streets on the Left Bank, with lots of great shops and restaurants. The rooms are small, but very stylish-and very Parisian. The people on the front desk are very nice and helpful. The small lounge area is a delight. The room rates are within your budget, as well.

Bon chance!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
94 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me finalize Paris hotel choice..

I have to second the first response that wherever you choose will be wonderful, simply because it's Paris! But to weigh in on the benefits of one over the other, I have to give my vote to staying in the 1st, especially if it's your first visit to the City of Light. Being in the 1st, you'll be right in the middle of the city, so you'll never be far away from anything. My first trip to Paris, we stayed in the 1st, in a lovely hotel just west of the Louvre. (At the risk of complicating your mission even more, I'll tell you the name: The Hotel de la Place du Louvre, Highly recommended [note: this is not the same as the Hotel du Louvre, which is more expensive]). The location was perfect, because it was so central and we really felt like we were experiencing the Paris so many travelers dream of. On my second trip, we opted to stay in a slightly less central, less touristy area, and were a little disappointed. Metro stations were farther apart (we were in St. Germain des Pres), and finding places to eat was harder, too. We still had a lovely time, because we were in Paris after all, but we had to work a little harder at it. I think if that had been my first trip to Paris, I wouldn't love the city as much as I do.

I'm sure whatever you decide, you'll have a great time. Have a crepe for me!

Safe travels!

Worcester...
Level Contributor
201 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help me finalize Paris hotel choice..

I have actually stayed in both hotels (we must have similar taste!). I can say that both are very good, but I would recommend the Senat. First of all, the neighborhood is more fun - it's right down the street from Odeon metro in one direction, off Blvd St Michel in a different direction, and lastly one block from the Luxembourg Garden. The area is beautiful, lively (yet you would be tucked off a small street which is quite quiet), and it has great shops and restaurants. Second, the rooms at the Senat are quite a bit bigger. Third, if you take breakfast in the hotel or in your room, the juice is fresh squeezed. Now, if I haven't convinced you yet, may I add that the staff at the Senat is nicer too. While the room is lovely at the Therese, and the access to the Louvre and other monuments terrific, I found it a tough neighborhood to eat in (limited options) and to stroll around in the evening was not very interesting, except for the monuments themselves. It's very quiet since it's a business district. Therefore, there's not much happening in the immediate area. So that's my two cents. I hope it helps and not made things more complicated!

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help me finalize Paris hotel choice..

I stayed once at the hotel Thérèse and won't recommand it, as the room was tiny, even at Paris' standards. If you had a look on the candid travellers' picture on Tripadvisor, you know what I mean by tiny.

Even if you don't spend much time at your hotel, you need to have space to open your suit case, to sit down at a desk, for example to write you trip report , and not on the bed !

Unless you can afford the junior suite ?