We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

charles de Gaulle airport

n CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
charles de Gaulle airport

We are arriving at Charles De Gaulle at 11:45 am on Air France from States...will need to catch Meridiana to fly to Itally...Has anyone done this. I am assuming we will need to change terminals with luggage...

How easy is it to change terminals and go through customs. With three children and a 4 hour layover do you reccomend anywhere to hang out go eat in airport?

thank you!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,157 reviews
from US$108.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
570 reviews
from US$51.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$330.30*
USA
Level Contributor
28,494 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: charles de Gaulle airport

Most inbound AIR FRANCE flights from the US will arrive at either CDG terminal buildings #2-E or #2-F. All MERIDIANA flights will deaprt from CDG terminal building # T-3.

Whe you arrive at CDG, you will have to pass through French Immigration with your passport and Landing Document. You will then collect your baggage and then you've a choice. Yo can simply locate the CORRESPONDANCE- TRANSFER Desk (the flight attendant or gate agent can point you in the right direction when you deplane) or simpky look for the signage to the CORRESPONDANCE-TRANSFER shuttle buses from whichever CDG #2 terminal building you arrive at to CDG #T-3. This will keep you within the bonded '..IN-TRANSIT..' spaces of the airport terminals and will eliminate the need to pass through unnecessay airport security checks.

Once you arrive at CDG #3, you'll find a couple of fast-food (sandwiches, etc) to take a break and have a snack between flights. You'll also find ATM's where you can withdraw a sum of €uro currency (the same €uros from France, work equally well in Itely) if you haven't already a sum of '..arrival / convenience..' €uros already in-hand.

n CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: charles de Gaulle airport

thank you so much...I have a clearer idea of what to expect!

Washington state
Level Contributor
685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: charles de Gaulle airport

With 3 children?! Yikes. I sure hope your husband/partner/friend/whomever will be along to help. Good luck!

n CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: charles de Gaulle airport

One more question...I think I am able to check our suitcases with Air France all the way through Naples....even though we will be connecting with Meridiana in Paris. Do you reccomend I pick up at Paris and recheck it of book it all the way thourgh. I just do not want to have lost babbage...anyone have experience with Meridian losing luggage with connections?

Thanks

USA
Level Contributor
28,494 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: charles de Gaulle airport

IF....your baggage can be checked direcly through from your inbound AF flight to your outbound MERIDIANA flight, then do it. There is a far greater risk of your baggage going astray or being delayed and missing the connecting flight as more people handle it.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: charles de Gaulle airport

Hi Mom --

A couple of suggestions -

First - Put on the outside of each suitcase your name and the hotel its address and telephone number so the airline knows where to deliver them if they don't make your flight.

Second - Pack some things for each person in each piece of checked baggage - that way if a bag does go on its own holiday, everyone still will be dressed in clean clothes.

Third - in their carry ons, each of you should carry clean underwear and a clean shirt in case all the luggage goes away at once.

Now you can travel without worrying about your luggage because you'll have at least a day's insurance while the luggage gets found and delivered.

Additionally, the rule in our house is that you can take as much stuff (within the requirements of the airlines and security reulations, of course), in your carry on as you can carry - because nobody else is going to carry it for you. That way you don't have to be the bad guy about that stuff.

Bon voyage.

n CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: charles de Gaulle airport

thank you! sounds like We will try to check all the way through with spare clothes in carry on..

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: charles de Gaulle airport

Regarding the checked through luggage;

Definitely do it if they will allow you to.

We flew on a Lufthansa flight from Venice, changed planes in Frankfurt and arrived in London.

Then on a separate ticket, and a 3 hour layover at Heathrow, flew on BMI to Scotland.

We checked our bags in Venice, and Lufthansa was kind enough to through check our bags all the way to Scotland on the BMI flight.

It worked perfectly, and they arrived safe even after three flights.

It saved a LOT of hassle and lugging of bags.

Because if you do have to collect your luggage, you often need to exit the secure area, and wait for them to arrive.

Then cart them to the new check in area, wait in the lines with the people just arriving at the airport to check them again.

This will take a lot of extra time and effort.

However the ticket agent explained to me that it was only possible because they were a partner airline. (Star Alliance)

Also it was totally up to their discretion.

This is because apparently the airline that checks your bags are responsible for them through to the destination.

So if you purchase a separate ticket, on a different airline, they are many times not willing to assume the responsibility.

I do not think that Meridiana is a partner airline with Air France, so I am honestly doubtful that they will be willing, or even able to check through your bags.

Definitely ask, but be prepared for them to tell you it's not possible.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: charles de Gaulle airport

>> CORRESPONDANCE-TRANSFER shuttle buses from whichever CDG #2 terminal building you arrive at to CDG #T-3. <<

KDK, no more buses today - there is an automated raillink, the same system as the Lille, Toulouse and Rennes métro, much more practical. The Terminal 2 rail shuttle stop is next to the RER/TGV station. The Terminal 3 stop is next to the Roissypôle/RER "Terminbal 1" station, and Terminal 3 itself is 300 m on foot from there.

USA
Level Contributor
28,494 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: charles de Gaulle airport

>>>>> CORRESPONDANCE-TRANSFER shuttle buses from whichever CDG #2 terminal building you arrive at to CDG #T-3. <<

KDK, no more buses today - there is an automated raillink, the same system as the Lille, Toulouse and Rennes métro, much more practical. The Terminal 2 rail shuttle stop is next to the RER/TGV station. The Terminal 3 stop is next to the Roissypôle/RER "Terminbal 1" station, and Terminal 3 itself is 300 m on foot from there.<<<

I'm familiar with the new CDGVAL automated railway '..circuit..' replacing the old intra-airport shuttle buses (20 less buses??) to the '..public..' portions of CDG terminals/stations/parking lots. I was assuming that the passenger would have to remain within the security-controlled (bonded) IN-TRANSIT space of the airport...and I'm pretty sure (but not 100% positive) that conventional shuttle buses (navettes) are still used for these In-Transit CORRESPONDANCE-TRANSFERS.