We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palace of Versaille - tour or own way

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Palace of Versaille - tour or own way

Hey all,

We will be in paris from th 25 june to 29 June and have allowed a whole day for the amazing palace of versaille. Should we "invest" in a tour which seem very cosly or can we make our own way there via public transport ? will there be tour guides or audio tours that we can get when we get there if we decide to do this on our own. There will be two adults and two children 6 and 8 travelling.

Thanks

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palace of Versaille - tour or own way

Hi

What about both? :-) When I went there last year I took a guided tour of the private apartments. We took the train out there on our own, bought the guided tour there and that also gave us access to the palace...and you can even skip the line when you buy a guided tour like this :-) I'll send you a private message with a link to my Paris trip report and I hope that you can find some useful info there :-)

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palace of Versaille - tour or own way

It is very easy to do Versailles on your own. The RER C train (a commuter train) goes there, and you can buy a ticket at the train station that includes the round trip train, entrance to the Chateau, and the audio guide. You don't need a private tour.

The train ride is about 30 minutes, and Versailles Rive Gauche is the last stop. In Paris the RER C stops at: Gare d’Austerlitz, St. Michel Notre Dame, Musée d’Orsay, Invalides, Pont de l’Alma, or Champ de Mars.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
632 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palace of Versaille - tour or own way

I agree. I just returned from Paris. I went on my own and got the combo RER ticket for 25 euros. This includes the audio guide. We all had the ear phones on and got a great tour of the whole place. It is the last stop and just a short walk. You will be able to skip the ticket lines when you arrive.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palace of Versaille - tour or own way

Some friends of ours did it by organised BIKE tour. Met up near Eiffel tower, cycled to RER train, put bikes on the train, cycled around the grounds, had a picnic, back to train and the city.

Fat tire bike co, I think (same people that do the segways - I should be getting commission from them).

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palace of Versaille - tour or own way

Thanks for all of that information !!!!!!!!!!!!! I think we will get the combo rail pass and make our own way. Can't wait for this trip. I am so excitied !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Re: Palace of Versaille - tour or own way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 14:24