We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Je T'Aime

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Paris Je T'Aime

I know a lot of the folks in Europe saw this movie eons ago, but it is a more recent release in the U.S.

If you love Paris, you must go to this movie. I just got back and can say this movie truly shows the heart and soul of the "real" Paris. Some vignettes are hilarious (Steve Buscemi waiting for the metro, American woman studying in Paris), some are sad (Juliette Binoche's scene, the Columbian nanny), and some are weird (the vampires), but as a whole it is just great.

And I think a lot of Americans will love the final scene with the American student in Paris. She was fantastic. Her final lines about falling in love with Paris, and Paris falling in love with her, gave me chills.

Go see it if you haven't!

Les

Paris
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Je T'Aime

To me, the heroin of the final instalment (Parc Montsouris) is how I picture myself the archetypal TA Paris forum poster, including physically and the way she speaks French.

Israel
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Je T'Aime

I'm really dying to see this movie. It's not playing here in Israel. Maybe it'll be out on DVD when I go to the States.

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Je T'Aime

Largo, I loved that woman. She was so happy to be in Paris, with her fanny pack and tennis shoes and really bad pronunciation. She wanted to deliver the mail in Paris, I thought I'd die when I heard that line....so funny.

She made me sad and happy at the same time. The entire audience burst out laughing when they heard her speak French, knowing she was a caricature of the American learning French in Paris. She had such spirit!

I have a number of adult students and I must say, her pronunciation is very similar to theirs! But they love it too, that's what counts!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
132 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Je T'Aime

I want to see this but it's not showing where I live. I'm hoping I can get a copy in France.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,573 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Je T'Aime

I loved it,, saw it by myself and had to stop from smiling like a ninny.

I cried too, one scene just hit home.

Sorry, I do see two faults.

The Vampire story was just plain dumb, and not very original, boring.

And Gerard Depardui( sorry sp) ,, I needed to see MORE of him,, really that was just a cameo..

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
592 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Je T'Aime

I also loved the film. At first I was disappointed as it did not commence showing in Sydney until after we had left. However we went and saw it the week after we returned and it was probably better, especially for my sister who was able to recognise many places (I have been to Paris a number of times). I also got the giggles during the woman speaking French as I could easily understand her without looking at the captions and realised it was probably like me. I read French fairly well but know my pronunciation and comprehension is terrible. At the end I turned to my sister and said "Let's go back".

By the way the trip this year was to take my sister who had only spent a night in Paris in the 70's on the Grand tour of Europe. As we left I asked her "Was 11 days enough?" and she replied "Of course not"

7. Re: Paris Je T'Aime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 11:21