We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carte Orange or Paris Visite

california
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Carte Orange or Paris Visite

I know this has been addressed in the forum before, but I have slight confusion.

I am staying at Renaissance La Defense and want to be able to travel bus, RER, and Metro during our stay. We arrive on Monday afternoon and depart around 10AM on Sunday.

Both passes will work timewise, but I want to make sure I can travel to major places within city back to La Defense area. It seems that the Carte Orange is cheaper, but want to be able to use all transportation.

Thanks for your input on a continuous question.

USA
Level Contributor
28,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carte Orange or Paris Visite

For all intents and purposes, EITHER the CARTE ORANGE-Zone 1-2 @15,40 Euro or the PARIS VISITE-Zone 1-3 @ 26.65 Euro will work for ALL Metro & RER lignes and public bus routes within Paris and those to and from Paris and La Defense. Given your Monday to Sunday (6 1/2 day) itinerary, the CARTE ORANGE will be your best best. The longest term for the Paris Visite will be five(5) consecutive days...and one might assume that you will begin using the public transportation system on Day #1...so a PV would run out on Friday. So you'd have to add the cost of at least one CARNET to that. The CO covers ALL of your basic transportation need for the duration of your visit.

california
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carte Orange or Paris Visite

This is what I thought, but the zone thing was confusing me.

I read somewhere that I needed Zone 3 for La Defense, but the Carte Orange only covered 1-2. Also thought I read that the Carte Orange was not good for all transports like the Paris Visite.

I plan to explore La Defense the first day. I figure after an 11 hour flight, we may not have the energy to get out right away, so we would start the Paris Visite pass on Tuesday.

My husband is rather "frugal" and likes the sound of the Carte Orange and I do too. Guess we will take pictures with us for it.

USA
Level Contributor
28,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carte Orange or Paris Visite

>>>I read somewhere that I needed Zone 3 for La Defense, but the Carte Orange only covered 1-2. Also thought I read that the Carte Orange was not good for all transports like the Paris Visite.

I plan to explore La Defense the first day. I figure after an 11 hour flight, we may not have the energy to get out right away, so we would start the Paris Visite pass on Tuesday.<<<

The CARTE ORANGE is good for travel ANYWHERE the regular Metro runs---La Defense, Saint Denis, etc. To be precise, La Defense is technically over the boundry into ZONE 3 but for purposes of the RER 'A' ligne, it's still covered (one stop beyond and it's not). The same 'exception' works for buses (#73 ligne--approx 25 mins to Place de la Concorde; 30 mins. to Musee d'Orsay) as well. For the most part, you will probably use the #1 Metro ligne from La Defense into central Paris (10 mins to Etoile, 20 mins to Chatelet) as it will have the most local stops and best interconnectivity to other Metro and bus lignes throughout the rest of Paris. And perhaps ocasionally the #73 bus......so the 'technicality' will probably never arise.

One of the intangible '..benefits..' of the photo ID, CARTE ORANGE pass, is that it makes a GREAT personalized '..souvenir..' of your visit to Paris. And even if you purchased one for Zone 1-3, it would STILL be less expensive than the PARIS VISITE Zone 1-3 and be valid for longer.

california
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Carte Orange or Paris Visite

I'm sold!!! It will be my first purchase when I get to Paris.

I can purchase these at the Metro????

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carte Orange or Paris Visite

Yes you can. Not sure if this was said but , be sure to take a passport photo with you. Can be color or bw. You will need it to put on the carte orange card.

california
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carte Orange or Paris Visite

Thanks for the info. Just have to make sure I take the right size picture. Is it just a passport picture or smaller.

Thanks for all the help.

USA
Level Contributor
28,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carte Orange or Paris Visite

>>>Thanks for the info. Just have to make sure I take the right size picture. Is it just a passport picture or smaller<<<

The available space on the photo ID card portion of the CARTE ORANGE is approx. 1 1/4" x 1 1/4". The standard 'passport-size'photo is approx. 2"x 2"...but can usually be cropped down to serve. For your initial CARTE ORANGE you must go to a ticket booth to purcahse the whole '..package..'. All that is dispensed by the vending machines in many Metro stations are the re-useable Metro/RER ticket stub portion of the CO.

You CARTE ORANGE pass will come in three(3) parts: A photo ID card that you display to bus drivers when you board a bus; a re-useable Metro/RER ticket stub that you insert into Metro/RER turnstiles (but NEVER into validator machinf on public buses) and then must REMEMBER to retrieve as you exit the turnstile; and a plastic wallet/carry case to hold both photo ID card and ticket stub. You photo ID card is reuseable (or at least will be until they change the system sometime within the next year or so).

california
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Carte Orange or Paris Visite

Thank you KDK, and all that provided me with info.

Has anyone ever done their own picture with digital and printed it out to take?

Thanks Belinda

california
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Carte Orange or Paris Visite

Thank you KDK, and all that provided me with info.

Has anyone ever done their own picture with digital and printed it out to take?

Thanks Belinda

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Carte Orange or Paris Visite

KDKSAIL, I don't mean to be stupid and I've been reading this site for a while. I'm arriving on Wednesday and leaving the following Wednesday. Can I assume that it is better for me to get the Paris Visite?