We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from UK to Australia

London
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from UK to Australia

Hi,

My partner and I are thinking that at the end of our time here in the UK we might drive all the way back home to Australia. I know this is going to be quite difficult and will need a lot of planning but I think it will be very rewarding.

I was hoping someone reading this has done something like this before and would be willing to talk to us to help plan our trip.

We are in early stages of planning... We probably wont leave Europe til later next year, so any advice would be helpful.

I have the car being shipped from Singapore to Australia sorted, but in terms of which route we take, suggestions would be appreciated.

I you have any information on driving/travelling through any of the countries we might go through please let us know.

Thanks in advance for your help!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
347 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from UK to Australia

I've not done anything like this but my first thought is "what car do you drive". Unless it's ultra-reliable I wouldn't attempt it. There are probably websites dedicated to this kind of thing. Get an atlas, and look at what countries you'll be driving through, then go to the Foreign Office advice website and see how many of them are dangerous, what the local help available to foreigners is, etc. You might even be able to get detailed maps of the countries at your local big library.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
347 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from UK to Australia

I found this: http://oxford2oxford.co.uk/itin.html

Sounds like fun. Are you planning on stopping off along the way?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from UK to Australia

Seems like those Oxford people didn't actually do much driving. UK to Egypt then boat all the way to India, drive across the bottom of Inida then boat all the way to Perth.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from UK to Australia

Look at a map of the World and mark a tentative route through, then check with FCO on which are the 'no-go' countries, you would also need to confirm (on the non-European ones), what vaccines you'll require, whether you need visas or letters of permission to drive across the country (Middle East is a stickler for that one), also confirm on actually being able to drive on the licenses you hold in those countries and not to mention your vehicle will no doubt have a right-hand drive, that, on a few 'rural' foreign roads could be an adventure in itself!

As suggested it might be wise to skip large chunks and sail instead.

You should give serious consideration to weather, rainy seasons can cause dangerous flash flooding near the Equator, the Monsoons in India are not the time to be driving, unless you equip your vehicle with floats and rudder. :-)

You will have to be totally self sufficient a lot of the time, spare petrol, car jack, first aid kit, emergency supplies, spare tyres, water cans......lots of water, non perishable food.

If you decide to do it.....good luck!

5. Re: Driving from UK to Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 20:20