We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to buy painting or lithograph of local artists

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Topic
Want to buy painting or lithograph of local artists

I would like to buy painting or lithograph of local artists.

Hopefully it would be around $500 or less. Do you know any good galleries in Paris?

Thank you!!

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to buy painting or lithograph of local artists

I can't help you with galleries but I purchased

a wonderful oil painting from an artist in

Montmatre in 2003.

Not only the painting but the experience

of talking with him was memorable.

You might want to visit Montmarte, hopefull

early and not on the weekends. If you

don't see anything you like, visit the galleries

I'm sure will be posted shortly.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to buy painting or lithograph of local artists

Randy, why do you say not to visit Montmarte in the weekends? Is that because it will be chaotic/too busy? We are only in Paris over the weekend, and had thought to visit that area to see the artists. We're interested in finding some original art, which I'd hoped to be able to purchase and roll into a tube/cardboard packaging to transport home with us. Can you give an approximate amount that we can expect to pay (in euros) for such a painting? I imagine that art from galleries would be considerably more expensive. Thanks.

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to buy painting or lithograph of local artists

Hi handle8,

Thanks for your post.

The only reason I suggested avoiding the weekend

at Montmarte is the crowds but, if the weekend is

what you have, go for it. Just try to get there early,

walk around the square a number of times and enjoy

a wide variety of art. A NUMBER of sketch artist will

vy to do your caricature.

I purchased an oil painting in 2003, a 5x7 (I could put in my carry-on) for $125 (matted and framed it and it hangs in the

dining room).

I also purchased 3 watercolors (1 each year 2000-2002)

from the same street artist across from the Louvre on

rue de Rivoli (3"x4") for a few dollars each; matted and

framed them and they are in the living room.

I have a very good sense from visiting many galleries

that the costs are considerable. There are also many

shops that carry french posters that might be of interest too.

Good luck and best wishes.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,539 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to buy painting or lithograph of local artists

I bought a small (approx 8 x 11) colored pencil sketch from a youg woman who was displaying her artwork in the Luxembourg Gardens - 8.00 E (I thought it was a mistake) I've had it framed and it is great. I've also bought a small painting at Montmartre - a sktech of the hill with a small red Moulin Rouge at the lower left and the city and Sacre Coeur at the upper right.

Pjk

USA
Level Contributor
28,367 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to buy painting or lithograph of local artists

>>>I would like to buy painting or lithograph of local artists.

Hopefully it would be around $500 or less. Do you know any good galleries in Paris? <<<

What are your preferences in art?? There are any number of artist's who ply their trade up in Mantmartre--especially around Place de Tetre--and the occasional one is genuinely talented--rather than just formula '..schlock..'.. Though I haven't visited any, there are a lot of small new galleries openning out at the eastern portion of the city in the 11th, 12th & 13th where the work of a lot of new and/or undiscovered talent (of all styles and 'stripes' is being hung.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to buy painting or lithograph of local artists

WE had a good experience buting from one of the artists on Monte Marte too. We will cherish the memories and the painting.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
322 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to buy painting or lithograph of local artists

Almost 20 years ago my Brother went on a graduation trip across Europe. He knew I was majoring in commercial illustration and brought me water color from a street artist... he claimed one looked like me :).

This ranks among my most favorite gifts ever. When I go this fall I am going to make sure I return the favor, whatever the cost.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to buy painting or lithograph of local artists

In Montmartre, I saw the most beautiful oil paintings of windows and doors - you know, the typical french style - they ranged from E60 to E125. I regret not buying a small one, but as it was my first day in Paris I wasn't sure if that was a reasonable price. I will buy one when I return next Easter.

Interestingly, the artists don't mind you taking photos of their work - kind of tacky, but to have a photo of the "artist at work" was really special for me...and they were more than happy to just chat with the tourists, which was great fun - us with our stumbling french and they with their stumbling english..

Sandra

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want to buy painting or lithograph of local artists

Regarding Painters' Square and the outdoor artists -

would it be bad form to try and bargain for a piece?

I know nothing about this but am anticipating going

and looking for some art.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Want to buy painting or lithograph of local artists

I think it is ok to say something like "Is this your best price?" I did that and he came down on the price. When I said I could not afford it he lowered the price again. At that point I said "Do you accept Visa?" he said sure and a we had a deal. He wrapped my painting very carefully and I placed it in my suitcase for the trip home. The downside is that I paid more for the framing and matting at Michaels than I did for the painting and they sure don't bargain.