We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Printing SNCF passes in the US

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rushford, Minnesota
Level Contributor
45 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Printing SNCF passes in the US

Will it really work if I buy my train tickets online from SCNF and print them at home in the US? I have heard in the past that I should pick them up in France? Do I need to do that at a ticket counter or do those dispensing machines work?

I have always bought tickets at the counter as I went in Italy and Eastern Europe but I thought this might help eliminate some of the language barrier.

Thanks for you thoughts!

Washington state
Level Contributor
681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Printing SNCF passes in the US

Keep in mind that you can only print certain types of SNCF tickets (the discounted prem fares, for instance) at home. I did that for several of our journeys, but I'm not there yet so I can't tell you how it worked out. Other posters have indicated no problems.

Otherwise--

You can buy standard fare ticketsdirectly from SNCF online before you leave, but if you're in the U.S. you'll have to pick them up at a station or ticket boutique in France (with the same credit card you bought them with), or as we did for some our tickets, have them mailed to someone you will visit in France.

If you haven't seen it before, type in the search window "MorganB's rail guide" and you'll get the complete instructions for online purchases through SNCF.

You can also use RailEurope to buy tickets online in the U.S., but they tend to add surcharges, don't offer the discounted prem fares, and don't offer all of the routes and lines available.

Hope this helps some.

Rushford, Minnesota
Level Contributor
45 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Printing SNCF passes in the US

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

3. Re: Printing SNCF passes in the US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 16:17