We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Many questions.. first time to Paris.

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sweden
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Many questions.. first time to Paris.

Hi!

In august i will go to Paris for the first time. Im am not a very experienced treveller so i have some qestions so i dont have to worry so much.

1) Is there signs with names of the streets at streetcorners in paris?

2) I arrive at Porte Maillot and will probably walk to the area of arc the triumph where my hotel is (avenue Mac Mahon). Is it easy to walk that part and how long would i take?

3) At the metro. When you exit the metro, do you have to put our ticket trough som machine again so you can exit? Is it the same way in every metrostop?

4) If anyone travelled with Ryanair. Are the buses to beauvais accurate when it comes to time. I worry about missing my flight home and wonder if i should take an earlier bus to the airport (rather than the one which connect to my flight). Is this kind of worry silly?

5) I want to go to Sacre Cour and will have time to do it either early in the morning (6-9am) or later at the evening (9-11pm). Is it safe at that area in those hours? Is Anvers metrostation the right stop to exit at?

6) I will buy my metro-tickets at Charles de Gaulle Metro Station. What is the easiest way for me to buy them. At a ticketbooth? Are they marked with some kind of sign?

Paris
Level Contributor
643 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Many questions.. first time to Paris.

1) Yes, there are signs on all the street corners.

2) The buses arrive on the north side of Palais de Congres, so just walk down Avenue des Ternes to MacMahon - about 15 minutes.

3) You have to put your ticket through turnstiles at the RER stations to get out ,but not in the Métro, however you should always keep your ticket because you may be required to produce it or else receive a fine.

4) You can rely on the Ryanair bus that connects with your flight, in my experience. I believe most customers come on those buses, so they probably wait for them.

5) The area is not unsafe, but can be a little intimidating later at night; if those are your two times I would go in the morning. Anvers or Abbesses is the right métro.

6) The ticket booths are marked; in some stations they are trying to get everyone to purchase at automated machines, so the agents there actually come out and show you how to purchase at the machine, but CDG probably has selling agents.

Sweden
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Many questions.. first time to Paris.

Thank you for the answers!

Can anyone explain ste-by-step how to purchase metrotickets (preferbly a carnet) from a machine? Or if anyone knows of some website with that information? Is the text/instructions on the machine only in french?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Many questions.. first time to Paris.

I can remeber feeling intimidated buying tickets the first time. Just go up to the machine and following the instructions on the roller. We found that it was dead easy.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Many questions.. first time to Paris.

since you are from Sweden you probably have a credit card with chip that will work in the metro ticket machines -- the machine has instructions

if you don't have a credit card that works, just buy them from the ticket booth

I am not sure what you mean by Charles de Gaulle Metro Station -- the metro does not go to Charles de Gaulle airport -- a metro ticket will not get you from CDG into town -- you will need to buy a ticket that costs roughly 8.50 Euro at the airport RER station -- you can use that ticket on the trip in in the metro so long as you don't exit the station --

you can buy a carnet at a metro station the first time you need to use the metro

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Many questions.. first time to Paris.

>>>I am not sure what you mean by Charles de Gaulle Metro Station -- the metro does not go to Charles de Gaulle airport <<<

True but Charles de Gaule Etoile metro station is at the Arc de Triomphe near where the OP is staying.

LBV, Florida
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Many questions.. first time to Paris.

1) There are street signs located on the buildings at the street corners.

3) For the Metro, you do not need to put your ticket through a machine to exit. We were warned about the control agents who might appear and demand that you produce a valid ticket. On our third Metro trip, we were walking towards the sortie, when several people in front of us started running back towards us. Around the corner were the control agents. They asked us to produce our tickets. They checked the timestamp on the ticket and let us go on our way.

5) I would recommend going in the morning. On our trip in May, the funicular was out-of-service. I think it was about 150 steps to the top.

6) The Metro tickets can be purchased as a group of 10 tickets (carnet). The following website has a picture of one of the automated ticket machines that can be found in the metro stations.

slowtrav.com/france/…metro_transportation.htm

On the ticket machine, the first page will be in French. The top option will be for purchasing tickets (billets). Use the white roller to select that option and then press the green button.

On the next screen, use the roller to navigate to the bottom where several flags will be displayed that allow you to choose a language. Select the language and press the green button.

Now the remaining screens will appear in the chosen language. I'm not sure if I remember the next screens exactly. But, I think on the next screen you can choose a carnet of 10 tickets and press the green button.

The next screen will be a choice of 1 or 2. Which means would you like a total of 10 or 20 tickets (1 carnet or 2 carnet). Press the green button.

If I remember correctly, the machine will then ask you to insert money or a credit card. If you use a credit card leave it in the machine until the transaction is complete and the machine tells you to remove it. It will seem like it is taking a long time, but be patient.

7. Re: Many questions.. first time to Paris.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 08:21