We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Questions - Paris->Brussels->Amsterdam - Best way?

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Train Questions - Paris->Brussels->Amsterdam - Best way?

Hello,

I am looking at booking my TGV tickets for my trip in October. We are flying into Paris from Canada and want to go to Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam and use the train to travel and do it the cheapest and less confusing way possible.

If I look at the prices on SNCF site, I could get SMILYS fares for 54 euros Paris to Brussels and 33 euros Brussels to Amsterdam. However, on the Brussels to Amsterdam leg, there are also intercity trains which require no reservations for 68 euros.

I understand some of the pros and cons for each option. Taking the SMILYS on both legs requires us to set up our itineraries and coordinate the two legs properly. On the other hand, the intercity train is not only more expensive but requires us to transfer to Brussels NORD.

In your opinions, which option is the best option?

Thanks!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Questions - Paris->Brussels->Amsterdam - Best way?

>>>In your opinions, which option is the best option? <<<

Err a direct, cheaper, premium train or an indirect, more expensive, non-premium train? I don't see the dilema. Thalys.

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Questions - Paris->Brussels->Amsterdam - Best way?

The dillema is that the Thalys (at least with smilys rates) is reservation only (non-refundable, fixed-date, fixed-time, etc.) while for the normal intercity train, you can just buy tickets at the counter minutes before you leave.

The Thalys is a high-speed train, but it travels at "normal" (low) speed between Brussels (or Antwerp) and Amsterdam - so it doesn't offer much of a premium there.

No one can decide for you which option is best - but remember that the Thalys tickets at smilys rates are usually the first to go, so you can't wait too long to decide.

3. Re: Train Questions - Paris->Brussels->Amsterdam - Best way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 06:22