We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM machines?

toronto, on
Level Contributor
378 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
ATM machines?

I am hoping not to carry alot of euros on me and plan to take money every few days from an atm machine. Are they easy to find and in a lot of areas? Thanks

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
504 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,185 Reviews
from US$108.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
790 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
630 Reviews
from US$73.80*
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM machines?

Yes, they are all over in the areas you are most likely to be.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM machines?

On your card there should be some symbols of the systems your ATM card will work with. "Star" and "Plus" are ones that will work in Europe. If your card does not show these symbols, it probably won't work.

You must have a 4 digit access code. 5 digit codes won't work in Europe. If you have a 5 digit code you probably can get it changed. Call your bank and see.

Also you want to memorize your code as numbers not letters. Many ATM's in Europe do not put letters on the keys, only numbers.

Contact your bank and let them know what dates and where you will be traveling. As a security precaution, many banks will put a hold on your card if they see activity overseas without prior notification.

You might want to get your daily limit raised, if for no other reason than emergencies. Also, most banks charge a fee per foreign transaction, so the fees can mount up if you just take small amounts each time. My bank charges $5.00 per transaction, regardless of the amount, so withdrawing larger amounts is more economical.

I have occasionally come across a machine that wouldn't take my card, but it has never been a problem. I just move on to the next one - I have always been able to find one that works.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM machines?

Not sure who you bank with, but call them to see if there is a bank that they are partnered with that will allow withdrawls without the extra service charge. I bank with Scotiabank and they partner with Barclays in the UK and PNB Parabis in France.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM machines?

There are more ATM's in France than in the USA and Canada. They are all over the place, No problems there.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM machines?

Before you leave, make sure your bank and credit card companies know when, where you are traveling;otherwise they may block any transactions. Also be sure your bank card has European access My bank(locally owned) had to do something technical to make sure I could use it at ATM's in Europe - I did use my pin number without problem. Check with them also about daily cash/charge withdrawal limits

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM machines?

Bmarr, as Canadains most of us already have the 4 digit numerical code needed to use the ATM,. but, make sure all the money you want access to is in your CHEQUEING account as the foriegn ATM machines do not withdraw from the savings account like ours can.

7. Re: ATM machines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 12:18
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor