We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ct
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Topic
Day trips

I was interested in some day trips to take from Paris. I am traveling with my family husband and 3 children girls 17 & 15 and son 14.

We were thinking of renting a car for a day or two to see some of the countryside. Same towns etc. Could anybody give me some help here?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips

Dear CT:

When I went at the end of May I went on a day trip to Giverny and I was enchanted with Monet's house and gardens. This was an unforgettable experience. It also gave us a chance to see the countryside going to Normandy.

Another day trip was to Fountainebleu to see the palace, also a nice place to see.

I do not know if you have driven in Paris before, but I would have second thoughts about that because leaving and entering the city seemed to me to be complicated and I would not attempt it myself. Out on the countryside, the freeway seemed to be easy.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips

I would agree with the last post as driving in Paris can be difficult - except in August when most Parisians are on holiday.

Why not use trains as there are several places of interest easily reached this way - its possible to visit Avignon in the south of France - the journey is just under 3 hours each way - I would suggest a night in the city if you did this though!

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips

Try searching TA on "day trips". There have been literally hundreds of postings on day trips with many suggestions and many opinions. Everyone has their favorites.

There are many, many day trips that can be done very well by train without trying to drive. Driving might be necessary for out of the way places where the train doesn't go, but you could almost spend a month doing day trips without getting to that point.

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips

Because of the ages of your children, Chartre Cathedral

might be of interest. It is only about a hour by train

from Paris and very interesting. A good half day

excursion.

5. Re: Day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 10:21