We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

email hotel in English?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
180 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
email hotel in English?

We would like to email our hotel for a room request before we arrive. Is it ok to send it in English? Are we better off calling?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,441 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: email hotel in English?

I imagine most hotels would have someone who understands English, though it would be best to be polite and apologise that you can't speak French. If you write your booking clearly and simply there should be no problem.

Remember, though, that in Europe we write our dates a differently than in the States. 12.9.2007, for example, is 12 September, not 9th December!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: email hotel in English?

That is correct, world standard, i.e. most places other that the US write dates in smalles to largest, day, month, year. OR largerst to smallest: year, month date

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: email hotel in English?

I think e-mail will be fine. In hotels people usually speak english and if your not a native nglish speaker written is easier than to talk on the phone, even though I assume they know good enough english to handle that too. .

Michigan
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: email hotel in English?

I would use Alta Vista Babel - a language tranlator sight.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Type in what you want to say then choose "English to French" and your message is magically converted!

Cut and paste the translated text into your e-mail....

Seattle
Level Contributor
247 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: email hotel in English?

I have been emailing my hotel in English with no problems and getting responses back in English as well. I'd give it a try - if you don't get a response back then try calling I guess!

houston
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: email hotel in English?

I've been email hotels and restaurants both with no problem.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: email hotel in English?

It will be allright to email your reservation request in English as most likely the receptionists understand English well. In fact, many are multilingual.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: email hotel in English?

One funny note about using automatic/computer translators - I did that once, and in response to my question about whether the other party had a secure server (un serveur bloqué de E-mail) for credit card information. I got a response in French that the computer translated as "we are sorry but we do not have trustworthy waiter"!

Michigan
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: email hotel in English?

Berkley: That's the best one I've hear so far! LOL

Somewhere I read that you will always get the higher rate if the e-mail is in English vs French since the hoteliers realize you are an international travel. Anyone else ever hear or experience anything like that?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: email hotel in English?

d7858 - that sounds to me like the same type of urban legend as "Parisians are so rude"! I doubt it, in part because most hotel web sites have automated booking functions, so the "hotel" doesn't know anything (only the computer knows).