We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viva la France!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Viva la France!

My husband and I will be visiting France in June of '08. Since I have found invaluable information on Tripadvisor's site, I thought I would also tap the forum members' wealth of knowledge and pose a few questions. We are considering either the Hotel du College de France or the Hotel Muguet for our Paris stay...any comments?

We plan to spend five days in Paris and six days touring Provence by car (renting a car in Avignon or Marseilles). Good plan? Suggestions for a beautiful place to stay in that broader area of Provence? Towns not to miss? Thank you for kind assistance.

Nancy of California

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Viva la France!

without hesitation, Hotel Muguet sounds me better that Hotel du College. Have you seen Hotel St Jacques in the 5th district. And why not an apart. We have rent 3times an apart (id 123) with vacationinparis. com, based in New Jersey, and it's really a good choice. You are nestled at the top of the building with elevator, duplex under the roof, 2 flat tv screens and very confortable. Situated in a pedestrian street, at 3 minutes of St Michel metro station, a 10 minutes of Notre Dame and St Louis Island, believe me, it's a great place to stay ....

California
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Viva la France!

Thank you for your advice. Will check both out.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Viva la France!

ok let's go ahead .... Provence

as i guess, you'll go to Avignon or Marseille by train (TGV). Would you like to try something special and different :

www.reinesammut.com/eng/

in a small village called Lourmarin, a very peacefull hotel with a great "cuisine", Reine Sammut, a woman, is the chef (and owner) and you will never forget the experience ....

Otherway Les Baux de Provence is also a very pleasant village to visit, La Camargue with Sainte Marie de la Mer, Aigues Mortes, medieval village (would say town), Avignon of course, Marseille aussi, Gordes ...and much more, suggest you buy the Guide Vert Michelin in english .....

California
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Viva la France!

again, Monsieur Phil (is it?)

Thank you for your invaluable information. I am taking swift notes.

Keep sharing!!!!

Regards,

Nancy

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Viva la France!

you have got it, phil, and if you need more help, could try ....

California
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Viva la France!

could try.....???????

Miami
Level Contributor
888 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Viva la France!

We took the TGV from Paris to Avignon. At the train station we picked up a rental from EuroCar, which had the best price and free up grade. We stayed at this lovely B&B in Saint Laurent des Arbes which is about a 15 minute drive from Avignon. We used this as a base to visit Provence www.domaine-du-moulin.com. It's located towards the northwest area, so it's good as a base for cities in that area, we drove down t

On our trip we took a DK Eyewitness guide book which had some great driving routes. There are so many nice towns to visit, some of the place in nearby that we visited and liked included St. Remy, Gordes, Aix en Provence, Arles, Chateauneuf de Pape and l'Isle sur de Sorge. We later drove down to Monaco to visit the French Riviera, the drive down took about 3 hours more or less.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Viva la France!

BTW, "Viva" is Spanish, not French. You meant to say Vive la France.... ;-)

Between these two I would choose Muguet, only because it is in the 7th and not the 5th arrondissement. The 5th, or Latin quarter, is VERY popular, and I find it terribly touristy. For the most part it has become an area of tacky gift shops and lousy restaurants. (With some exceptions of course)

keep in mind there are many who will disagree with my opinion of the 5th.

The 7th is not as touristy. But I would also look in the Marais, (the 4th) as I think this is the most interesting area to stay. it has the charm that the latin quarter used to have.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Viva la France!

well Nancy, could try means it's a pleasrue to help you and i could try again ... sorry for my wrong interpration of the english language .... ok

California
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Viva la France!

WITH APOLOGIES to all my French-speaking friends........

I humbly correct my forum title to read...Vive la France.