We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris bicycles, anyone tested it?

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Topic
Paris bicycles, anyone tested it?

Hey

Has anyone tested the new bicycles in Paris, how does it work, many hang ups?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
494 reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,171 reviews
from US$108.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
USA
Level Contributor
28,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris bicycles, anyone tested it?

Sorry...haven't used the new VÉLIB bicycle rental system ...but this site (in French only by you can figure it out easily enough) may provide you with more of the specific details--

VÉLIB--

http://www.velib.paris.fr/

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris bicycles, anyone tested it?

heya! ill explain you the principle. you have to get a subscription at the marie, and then the first 30 min are free, then 30 min 1 euro, the next 30 min 2, the next 30 min 3 etc. so the thing is if you dont want to pay more than the subscription, you have to take the bicycle lets say 25 min, put it on a borne, take another one, etc etc. its not a rental of bicycles, otherwise everybody would take them for the day or even the week. the principle is to put them back always so there is a turn over, and always available bikes for other people. so if you want one for the day without bothering then rent one, it would be a lot cheaper! hope this helps! and give me a call when u come to paris ;)

new york city
Level Contributor
376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris bicycles, anyone tested it?

but as a tourist, riding without a helmet? so we'd have to bring 3 bike helmets along? that's the part that seems difficult. would love to do this tho.

KY
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris bicycles, anyone tested it?

Here is a blog entry about the new system:

www.theparisblog.com/2007/07/17/i-velibbed/

New York
Level Contributor
300 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris bicycles, anyone tested it?

Actually, ebean, it is rare to see anyone wearing a bike helmet in Paris. They do, however, wear them when they are riding motorcycles.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris bicycles, anyone tested it?

Hi

The new Velib system is a big hit. The beauty of the system is that the city has taken the time and effort to put in bikes in every quartier of the city making it convenient to pick up a bike, ride it across town and drop it off at your destination.

That is what the system has been designed for, short trips, short rental periods, to lessen conjestion on the streets and to offer good exercise.

The next best step is that if, like the sidewalk toilets they were offered for free.... but they are less than a metro ticket...

One note about the safety issue and helmets... it does seem to be chancing it some to be riding without one... you really need to be within your own comfort zone on this call... but in my 9 years in Pais the only time I've seem bike riders with helmets has been for the Tour de France, and by the way the only time I've seen a bike crash.

Parisians are aware of cyclists, give them wide berth and note also that many kms of bike lanes exist in Paris...

ipswich england
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris bicycles, anyone tested it?

The ever useful L'Indispensable "le petit Parisien, 3 plans par arrondissement" shows cycle lanes in green. There is quite an extensive network, so it should be a piece of cake.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris bicycles, anyone tested it?

Ya! We are excited about this...we may move to Paris in the next few years (Fiance is French)...I think this is a great idea the city is offering...promotes healthy lifestyle and environmental responsibility

9. Re: Paris bicycles, anyone tested it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 02:16