We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Paris-Which district # 8?

LI NY
Level Contributor
437 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Paris-Which district # 8?

Hi,

My huband and I are thinking of traveling to Paris this fall, we both have never been.

Which district would be the best place to stay to see the sights?

Are there districts that are not really safe which you should avoid at night?

Thanks!

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Paris-Which district # 8?

for a first trip I would probably choose the 5th -- although the Marais (4th) is also good -- and some people like the 6th which I find too filled with expensive tea rooms, designer shops and general boring stuff --

on a first trip, it is good to be within easy walk of things like the Seine and Notre Dame -- especially for evening strolling

we have stayed all over and never felt unsafe at night -- I walked alone in Montmartre this spring at night on occasion and while I am alert walking at night -- I didn't feel threatened

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Paris-Which district # 8?

I would 2nd the 5th.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Paris-Which district # 8?

Hi;

The 8th arrondissement is the area bordering the Champs Elysee from the Tuileries to the Arc de Triomphe... nice area, plenty of restaurants, wide avenues, hotels, upscale.... more congested north of the Champs...

For a first visit, any of the more central arrondissements.

Look at an arrondissement map like this one:

www.paris-walking-tours.com/paris-maps.html

and you'll see that the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th are all close to the river and central to most main sites in Paris.

Though the other arrondissmens of Paris have their charm for the first time visitor to Paris, why not stay in central Paris?

As for safety, Paris is safer than most American cities. Violent crime on tourists is practically non existant... petty crime such as scams and pickpockets are what you need to watch out for... but an awareness of surroundings and a firm tone when approached do the trick.... Paris is a wanderers paradise... day or night....

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Paris-Which district # 8?

We stay in the 7th when ever we go to Paris and find it very convenient and safe. We find we can walk to most places we want to see and there are metros near by if we need them. Our Hotel (hotel du Palais Bourbon -www.hotel-palais-bourbon.com) while listed as a two star is a great location, small charming "French"hotel with large rooms, tiled bathrooms at a resonable price. It is near the Invalides and Rodin Musee, a short walk to the river at Pont Alexander.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Paris-Which district # 8?

I live in the 8th bordering the 9th and 2nd. The 8th is much more than just the Champs Elysees. I walk everywhere from Marais to Arc de Triomphe to Montparnasse!

I like most central arrondissements in Paris. Look at a map and at addresses. There are streets in the 14th for example that are very close to the 6th and rates are lower there than in the 6th. Rue Delambre is an example.

montreal
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Paris-Which district # 8?

Stayed pretty much all over Paris and we've never felt threatened even late at night. Just watch for pickpokets, not only at night but also during the day, particularly in crowded areas.

Finland
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Paris-Which district # 8?

I would opt for 6th instead of 5th (Latin Quarter) because I find it more original, trendier and it has much less mass tourism feel than 5th.

4th in Marais is great too, very quiet, convenient for Notre Dame and the new Opera, within walking distance from the Louvre and less known, but even more beautiful Sainte-Chapelle (Gothic chapel) on the Ile de la Cité.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Paris-Which district # 8?

i just stayed in the 8th and i didn't particularly care for it late at night - guys would cat call to you while you walked. also - kids hanging out at the top of the liege metro calling on passer-bys - not great stuff

i like the 14th montparsse(sp?) - i found myself leaving the north to visit the south

it's less pretentious - much better cleanliness, liveliness, kids are haning around bothering or cat calling you and there are less beggers

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Paris-Which district # 8?

i just stayed in the 8th and i didn't particularly care for it late at night - guys would cat call to you while you walked. also - kids hanging out at the top of the liege metro calling on passer-bys - not great stuff

i like the 14th montparsse(sp?) - i found myself leaving the north to visit the south

it's less pretentious - much better cleanliness, liveliness, kids are NOT haning around bothering or cat calling you and there are less beggers

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Paris-Which district # 8?

would definitely choose the 6th, few steps of the seine, notre dame, st louis island, nice atmosphere and better rent an apart instead of an hotel ...