We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knife & Museum Security

Redlands, CA
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Knife & Museum Security

We will be in Paris for several days next week and would like to carry a small knife in case we buy bread, etc. Would we have a problem going through security checks in various museums, etc if it was in a backpack or purse? Thanks for any advice.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
344 reviews
from US$60.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,257 reviews
from US$105.79*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
535 reviews
from US$43.78*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
666 reviews
from US$108.23*
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,058 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knife & Museum Security

Never thought about this; try a plastic knife?

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knife & Museum Security

I always pack a small Swiss Army knife in my check on bag and then carry it with me and use it to cut bread etc and have never been stopped at any museum security.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knife & Museum Security

if I were a museum security guard the one thing I would most not want in a museum full of paintings would be a knife -- I think they generally don't catch this sort of thing, but if they did, all museums have cloakrooms where you can stash your bag

Denver
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Knife & Museum Security

FWIW, I've never had a problem having my bread sliced.

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Knife & Museum Security

Bring a butter knife.

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Knife & Museum Security

I think most security guards doing checks at museums (and department stores, etc.) are more concerned with bombs, etc. They usually check for bigger objects. It's more some kind of ritual to make the public feel safe.

But you should know that carrying even a small pocket knife is, theoretically, not allowed in Paris. It may sound ridiculous, but it could be considered a weapon ("port d’arme de la 6e catégorie") and, when found by a policeman who thinks you need a lesson, could get you in serious trouble.

In a well-known documentary film ("10e chambre, instants d'audience" by Raymond Depardon, 2004) you can witness the court case of a French sociologue who got arrested after the police found a 8 cm folding pocket knife ("to cut a piece of string or some sausage", in his own words) on him in the metro. (actual footage from court, no actors!)

But I'm sure that a lot of French people even don't know it is forbidden, and are carrying pocket knives. Unless you do something else to attract the attention of the police, it is not very likely to be a problem.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
347 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Knife & Museum Security

When we were in Paris a couple of weeks ago, the police were removing knives from back packs at St. Chapelle and holding them until tourists came out. The security here is very tight because it is part of a complex of government buildings.

Other museums require you to leave your bag in a cloakroom, so there would be no problem leaving the knife in the bag whilst you tour the museum.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Knife & Museum Security

A few years ago my 10 year old son had his pocket knife in his pocket when we went to the Louvre. This was of course despite our instructions that he couldn't carry it around with him - he had just received it as a birthday present. We were led by a guard to the lockers so that we could put the knife into a locker.

I was just thankful we weren't trying to get onto a plane!

France
Level Contributor
151 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Knife & Museum Security

Hello,

You wouldn't dream of taking a knife into the Met, would you? The same applies to the Louvre (some pictures were slashed by a maniac only recently). Check your bags whenever possible.

Have a good trip.

FW

10. Re: Knife & Museum Security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 15:16