We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris and the wine country for a week.

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Topic
Paris and the wine country for a week.

My wife and I are going to Paris in early December, she has been I have never.

We were planning on staying a couple of nights in paris and then taking the train to either Bordeaux, Loire valley, or any of the other wine regions within a few hours (by train) and stay there for 3 days and two nights, before coming back to Paris for one last night.

Not including the travel days we have about 6-7 days in Paris so we are flexible with how long we stay in Paris and or the wine country.

To get to my question, I have never been to France and I am trying to figure out where to stay not only in Paris, but which wine region and where to stay and how to get around in the country side.

If anyone knows of any good websites or suggestions to help plan the trip, it would be of great help and much appreciated.

I am very excited to go just a little overwhelmed with the planning.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
550 Reviews
from US$72.00*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
659 Reviews
from US$73.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,218 Reviews
from US$120.40*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
824 Reviews
from US$122.80*
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris and the wine country for a week.

With only a week, I'd suggest the Loire and Champagne -- they're both within easy travel distance, and you'll get a very good introduction to a variety of wines -- parts of the Loire are well known for reds, while others are best-known for whites. If I have to tell you what Champagne is famous for, then perhaps you need more wine help than we can give! ;)

2-3 days in each would give you an introduction.

Driving would be easiest, but you can also take the train to each of the regions.

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris and the wine country for a week.

We were thinking about amboise are there some good vineyards there, also would a hotel or a b and b be more fun to stay in.

Thanks for all the help

Blackburn England
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris and the wine country for a week.

Loire is a good idea if you only have a short time.

Sancerre is a great place too - you can go to Northern Burgundy for Chablis etc from there.

I would certainly hire a car - maybe stay somewhere around Amboise.

This site has good info & links for wine producers:

lvo.com/GB/GASTRONOMIE/VINS/VITI/VITI1.HTML

A few suggestions for accomodation:

http://www.charmingroseraie.com/

http://www.aubergedelaunay.com/

http://www.lechevalblancblere.com/

Good website for hotels,B & B etc..:

http://www.sawdays.co.uk/

Le Coq Hardi in Pouilly is v.good on this site if you decide on Sancerre

Check out this link - I have posted some of our favourite wine producers on this one:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187196-i847-k1394…

Have a good trip

Neal

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris and the wine country for a week.

A B&B is far more fun -- it's much more personal.

Blackburn England
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris and the wine country for a week.

Just a point on your last posting.

Many hotels in that area have good restaurants attached and you should find that a good experience in sampling the local produce.

The hotel restaurant Roseraie I have recommended is excellent - check it out on Trip Advisor also.

B & B's are great for meeting people - both locals and fellow travellers but you generally will have to go out to eat although some will do evening meal as well.

Neal

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris and the wine country for a week.

well my friend, to topics for the same post, so i come on this one ...

Have va look on a B&B : www.couldraies.com

it's a wineyard estate, they have a "table d'hôtes" on reservation with the house wine "à Discrétion" ....We will spend 2 nights here at the end of the month. You are at equal distance of the Touraine Wineyards and the well known Loire Valley Castles ....

Otherway, you can see La Tortinière as a nice and comfortable hotel in a castle

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
131 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris and the wine country for a week.

Hire a car and depending on your taste (champagne/white/red wine) either:

- go to Loire area and combine with visiting a few castles (chambord, Chevenay, Chenonceaux,...) or even Orleans

- go to Reims and visit the cellar of some of biggest champagne producers in the world (visit the cathedral)

- go the Burgundy (my favourite area and best wines IMO) where you can easily drive from Dijon to Beaun stopping/staying/eating in between in any of many small wines villages. Visit Beaun/Hotel de Dieu and Clos de Vougot.

Alternatively take the train there and then hire a car. Avoids you having to drive out of Paris and on the periferic!

Driving by car is really the only way to appreciate the beauty of the land and visit the local wineproducers for some winestasting. Otherwise you will be stuck in one place.

BTW, while in Paris consider taking a daytrip to chateau de Versailles.

Check out viamichelin.com/viamichelin/…MaHomePage.htm for indication on distances, restaurants, hotels and sightseeyings in France. There are also many useful articles that may help you decide what you want. I use it all the time to reserve hotels throughout France and choose restaurants. The Guide Vert guidebooks (also in English) are the best when visiting France.

Let us know how the planning goes.

Mentioned in this post
Burgundy
Burgundy
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
Atlanta
Level Contributor
222 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris and the wine country for a week.

You can't go wrong with Bordeaux or Loire! We just visited both places and found plenty to see and do and eat and drink! You can read more details on my trip blog at www.travelpod.com/members/fitmom - we stayed in beautiful chateaux in Loire and Bordeaux!

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris and the wine country for a week.

The only reason I didnt suggest Bordeaux is because it is 4 hours by TGV, and then you must have a car to really get around --

It's certainly worth a trip, but not when they have so little time.

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
london
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris and the wine country for a week.

you have a good web site fo your request:

www.france-wine-routes.com

also have a look at:

www.cityrama.com