We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apartment with skype

seattle
Level Contributor
372 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
apartment with skype

i am pretty much a technology idiot so have a probably pretty basic question about our apartment in paris. when i asked if the place had a phone i was told it had a phone by skype. our main concern is making reservations for meals (yes, we like to eat when in paris!). will that be a problem? is there anything else i need to know? still debating between rue caulaincourt area and st. georges thanks to help from this forum but leaning to st. georges. any other feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
342 reviews
from US$60.86*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,256 reviews
from US$105.89*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
534 reviews
from US$43.82*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
666 reviews
from US$108.32*
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: apartment with skype

if you find "skype" in an english dictionnary, you win a bottle ....

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: apartment with skype

Skype is internet communications and the software lets you use your computer and internet connection to communicate with anyone, anywhere in the world.

I personally have never used it but maybe someone on this forum has.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: apartment with skype

There are dozens of "skype phones" out there like this one http://tools.netgear.com/skype/ but most plug into the USB port on your PC which would be a hassle IMO. Assuming it's a WIFI phone and set up properly, all you need to know is to replace the leading zero in any French phone number with 0033.

01 23 45 67 89 becomes 0033 1 23 45 67 89

If you have your friends and family install skype on their computers before you leave, you'll have unlimited FREE long distance calls to them while you're here. skype is a free download.

I prefer the rue Caulaincourt area over Saint Georges myself. Both have equally inconvenient Metro access to the sites in Paris though.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: apartment with skype

akaent, thanks for the lift (can we say that ?)

cercis 47, without hesitation, St Georges is nearer to all

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: apartment with skype

interesting (or funny), metromole and i are always in opposition.....that's why we have the forums

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: apartment with skype

philpetrus, does Wikipedia count to win the bottle???????

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: apartment with skype

better share the bottle with you when you come In France or Switzerland ....

seattle
Level Contributor
372 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: apartment with skype

thanks for all the feedback but........ does mean that the restaurants we want to make reservations for have to have installed skype in order for us to call? there is a computer in the apartment.

also, not phased by the transportation energy needed by staying in caulaincourt or st. georges, just want to make the right decison re interesting neighborhood, easy access to markets and restaurants and nice walking in the neighborhood. both apartments are comparable and we would be happy in either as far as the physical layout, price etc. any thoughts on that one? really appreciate any "skype" help as we have stayed in an apartment before without a phone and do not want to have that inconvenience again.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,198 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: apartment with skype

We used Skype when our Daughter spent a year in Chili. It will only work if both parties are signed up and have their computors connected to the internet. I think it would be better for you to use pay phones or a cell phone for local calls. Some places will accept reservations via e-mail.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: apartment with skype

It's been a few years since we lived in the US so I don't know what services are available there but the internet providers in France offer broadband and WIFI almost ubiquitously and full-time. If an apartment owner has a (typical) service package from a provider, they get full-time broadband with WIFI in addition to TV and even telephony for a really low price, often under 20€/month. This is a boon for apartment rental owners and they all seem to be signing-up for these services. With WIFI, the connection for the apartment is constant, meaning 24/7 so a WIFI skype phone would theoretically function like a traditional phone.

Skype is connection-independent so you can call any phone in the world. The party receiving the call doesn't need to be subscribed to skype but if both parties happen to be, the call is free. If the party receiving the call isn't subscribed to skype and is answering the call on a regular telephone, there is a charge of around two cents a minute between Europe and the US, a few pennies more for more distant places. It's an amazingly simple and elegent service.

We use it every day for all our calls, local and long distance. I don't think it's something to be especially concerned about.