We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP with 3-day itinerary at the end of September

Dallas
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Topic
HELP with 3-day itinerary at the end of September

I've been to Paris once, and I'll be travelling with my parents and aunt (in their late 50s), and my brother (late 20s). They are all relying on me plan the itinerary, so I'd love some help from the experts.

We will be arriving via Thalys on Monday morning around 10am, and will be spending all of Monday, Tuesday and part of Wednesday in Paris. And we'll be off to London via Eurostart for a 6pm train on Wednesday.

We'll be staying at the Marriott Hotel Rive Gauche.

I have a list of things that seem interesting to do, but I'm not quite sure where they are located, and therefore what itinerary would be the most effecient

We're Chinese, so I definitely want to check out Chinatown and get some good chinese/vientamese food.

I also heard the River Seine tour was good (don't know which company is better though)

Below is a list of things I saw that might be good to do (in no particular order). I'm not sure if it can all be done and what order I should do it in, so any help I can get is very much appreciated!

Chinatown

Arc de Triomphe

Champs-Elysees

Eiffel Tower

River Seine

Notre Dame Cathedral

Sacred Heart Basilica of Montmartre

Luxembourg Gardens

Hotel des Invalides

Saint-Germain-des-Prés

Latin Quarter

Notre Dame Cathedral
Sacred & Religious Sites, Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals
Sainte-Chapelle
Architectural Buildings, Churches & Cathedrals, Historic Sites
Basilica du Sacre-Coeur de Montmartre
Historic Sites, Architectural Buildings, Churches & Cathedrals, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Tours de la Cathedrale Notre-Dame
Churches & Cathedrals, Historic Sites, Architectural Buildings
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP with 3-day itinerary at the end of September

Hi:

This list is a great resource, but my first recommendation would be to buy a great map and guidebook to get started (I like DK Eyewitness myself). Get an idea of how the city is laid out and group some things together (Arc de Triomphe and Champs Elysees, for example, and Eiffel Tower and Invalides, etc.)

It can be done - it just depends on how long you want to spend in each place. Personally, I'd cut out Invalides and Sacre Coeur on the first trip. SC is just a bit out of the way and you only have a very short time. But I'd add in the Louvre or Musee d'Orsay - unless you're not museum fans.

It seems like the most often recommended boat ride is on the Batobus. There's also the Bateaux Mouches, which I think has a good reputation. (Do a search in the forum on "bateaux mouches" and you'll find lots of info on boat tours.)

Happy planning!

Ushuaia, Argentina
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP with 3-day itinerary at the end of September

Terrific list but having just returned, I suggest not planning too much. Spend some time at the Eiffel Tower, maybe have a picnic in one of the beautiful gardens looking up at the tower. My favorite part of our trip was just relaxing and people watching at a cafe as well as strolling along the Seine. At night the Notre Dame is teeming with Street performers and that is always entertaining!

Sacre Coeur is awesome and provides an amazing view of the whole city. There is an escalator type ride that takes you to the top and is totally worth it if you are travelling with elderly.

Have fun!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP with 3-day itinerary at the end of September

I would also recommend the DK Eyewitness Travel Guide for Paris. It breaks down all of the "neighborhoods" in great detail and will help you plan the order of places/sites to visit. I do think your itinerary is fairly ambitious for the time you have available, but may be doable if you are all extremely motivated. I think it would be a great idea to do the Seine river cruise on your first day or evening to give your parents, aunt, and brother an introduction to the city. It may also help you prioritize which sites are a must-see for your group.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP with 3-day itinerary at the end of September

Hi there - if you group your activities into 'areas', you may have a chance to see most...

eg,

Arc, Champs and ET on one day...you may have time to visit Musee Rodin beforehand..

Notre Dame and the Isles, Seine cruise (both companies are fine - just go with whatever one is leaving next), then up to Montmartre and Sacre Coeur in the night..(take the funicular to save your legs- you'll need one metro ticket per person each way)

Luxembourg gardens, St Germain & Latin quarter another day..probably could do those on the Wednesday, after you store your luggage..you won't need to be at Gare du Nord before 5 pm...

Sorry but I don't know where Chinatown is - and my DK Eyewitness Top 10 has let me down! There is The China Club - restaurant at 50 rue de Charenton, in the 12th...gets a pretty good recommendation

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP with 3-day itinerary at the end of September

From what I understand, Chinatown is in the 13e. It's not really near any of the other tourist attractions, but accessible by metro.

Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP with 3-day itinerary at the end of September

China town is close to your hotel (2-3 metro stops or a short taxi ride).

Dallas
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP with 3-day itinerary at the end of September

Thanks for all the feedback. Now I need hellp with what type of metro tickets to buy?

Based on my itinerary above, what are the best type of metro tickets for us to get? Would it be the book of 10 (carte 10?)

What would everyone recommend?

Florida
Level Contributor
17,266 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP with 3-day itinerary at the end of September

Chinatown (longer established area is in the 13th, Tolbiac Metro Station southeast to Porte d'Ivry; newer area in the Belleville neighborhood, 19th or 20th)

http://www.rendezvousfrance.com/chine.html

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17928-20…

Orange, California
Level Contributor
106 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP with 3-day itinerary at the end of September

All of your plans are easily doable. You can take the boat ride down the Seine toward the Eiffel Tower, then walk to the Arc and Champs-Elysee. Or conversley, Do Champs-E, Arc, walk to Eiffel, then boat down Seine to Notre Dame. While the Champs-Elysees is famous, most of the stores there are the same as you would find in a high-end mall at home, so no need to linger for hours.

At Notre Dame you can actually climb the stairs up to an upper level to see the gargoyles, if everyone in your group is spry. (my 8 and 6 year old kids did it) The entrance is to the left of the main entrance. Its a lot of stairs, but well worth it. While at Notre Dame be sure to visit St Chapelle. Its a few short blocks from Notre Dame. Its tucked away, but in my opinion one of the most beautiful sights in Paris. Be sure to go during the day to see the gorgeous stained glass on the second floor. See frommers.com/destinations/paris/A25287.html

for more info and directions.

Sacre Coeur and Montmartreare next to each other, and offer a wonderful view of the city. You can also climb to an upper level of Sacre Coeur. You can easily do ALL of the above in one day, if necessary.

If it seems like too much, then just slow down and enjoy being in Paris. But I definitely think you can do all of those in the time you have alloted. Be sure to visit one of the wonderful museums. The Louvre is wonderful (of course!), but my personal favorite is the Musee d'Orsay, right across the river.

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP with 3-day itinerary at the end of September

hello

wanted to reply earlier, sorry for late reply. marriott rive gauche, even though not right in the center, is well deserved with the metro, close to st germain and the center, very close to chinatown, and has direct metro to eiffel tower and arc de triomphe. also its only about one change to go to notre dame and st germain. so for me you could do in one day eiffel tower and arc de triomphe, chill around the streets, next day notre dame, seine, latin quarter as all is close, and maybe the next day montmartre (sacre coeur). for chinatown you could go there an evening, its pretty close from the hotel, maybe 3 metro stops or so, and there is not much to see actually, its not really a pretty area, but you can go there for a dinner for ex.

hope this helps, anyway maybe i will have the chance to meet you as i am doing part of my internship in reception of marriott rive gauche, and either reception staff or concierge will be pleased to help you, we have maps and love to explain how to get to several places :) my name is alexandra, this week i guess i will have am working hours (meaning 7am-3.30pm) so i will maybe do your check-in! :)

hotel is great, it was just refurbished, so everything is brand new, for the river cruise concierge can reserve tickets for you (and for any other attractions you would like to do), so dont hesitate to ask for help upon arrival!

a bientot!